This darling baby crochet candy corn hat is a festive crochet baby hat, it’s perfect for fall and Halloween! The earflaps looks just like candy corn!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
When I organized my stash a little while ago, I found a few long-forgotten projects. It was kind of fun to see some of the things I created long time ago.
One of them was this cute crochet candy corn hat.
To be brutally honest, I tucked it away because I wasn’t sure if it was a win or fail.
I showed it to my husband. Maybe it’s his blind support of everything I do, but he told me it was cute and to send out into the world!
To be totally fair, I have a track record of being a bit off the mark. My Moon Cycle mobile totally looks like Oreos (whoops), and I almost didn’t even release my Plaid Moose Lovey because I wasn’t sure if it was cute enough (that pattern is my best seller!).
So hopefully you think this whimsical hat is cute for baby on Halloween! 😆.
BABY CROCHET CANDY CORN HAT – FREE CROCHET PATTERN
What you need:
– 5.5 mm Hook
– Mighty Stitch in Orange, Canary and Cream (1 skein each)
Abbreviations: US Terms
Ch – chain
Sc – single crochet
Dc – Double Crochet
Sl st – Slip Stitch
St – stitch
Gauge: (see gauge check point)
The written pattern below is FREE in-text! If you would like an ad-free PDF The PDF download pattern is also formatted for easy crocheting on-the-go or for easy printing, it doesn’t include ads or comments. The pattern download includes 3 sizes: 0-3 months, 3-6 months and 6-12 months.
You will LOVE The Endless Bundle – it’s literally ENDLESS! My membership program includes the entire Whistle and Ivy pattern library (to download and keep!) videos, full tutorials, courses (including my Learn Crochet Plaid course!) , community, and much more. See you on the inside!
Notes: Ch 2 does not count as a stitch. Make sure you work the first st of each round in the same st as the chain. Always join with the first dc, not the chain.
6-12 month hat
(approx. 17″ circumference)
Begin with magic ring using Cream.
1. Ch 2. Work 10 dc into ring. Join with first st with a sl st. (10 sts)
2. Ch 2. Work 2 dc in each st around. Join. (20 sts)
3. Ch 2. *Dc in next st. Work 2 dc in next st* work 10 times. Join. (30 sts)
(approx. diameter: 3.25″)
4. Ch 2. *Dc in next 2 sts. Work 2 dc in next st* work 10 times. Join. (40 sts)
5. Ch 2. *Dc in next 3 sts. Work 2 dc in next st* work 10 times. Join. (50 sts)
6. Ch 2. *Dc in next 4 sts. Work 2 dc in next st* work 10 times. Join. (60 sts)
7. – 13. Ch 2. Dc in each st around. Join. (60 sts)
Crochet Candy Corn Ear Flap
(this is a separate piece. Make two)
Begin with cream:
1. Sc in 2nd ch from hook. Sc in last ch. Turn. (2 sts)
2. Ch 1. Sc in each st. Turn. (2 sts)
3. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in same st. Work 2 sc in last st. Turn. (4 sts)
4. Ch 1. Sc in each st across. Turn. (4 sts)
5. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in same st. Sc in next 2 sts. Work 2 sc in last st. Turn. (6 sts)
6. Ch 1. Sc in each st across. Turn. (6 sts)
7. Ch 1. Sc in each st. Turn. (6 sts)
8. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in same st. Sc in next 4 sts. Work 2 sc in last st. Turn. (8 sts)
9. – 10. Sc in each st across. Turn. (8 sts)
11. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in same st. Sc in next 6 sts. Work 2 sc in last st. Turn. (10 sts)
12. – 13. Ch 1. Sc in each st across. Turn. (10 sts)
14. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in same st. Sc in next 8 sts. Work 2 sc in last st. Turn. (12 sts)
15. – 16. Ch 1. Sc in each st across. Turn. (12 sts)
17. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in same st. Sc in next 10 sts. Work 2 sc in last st. Turn. (14 sts)
18. – 19. Ch 1. Sc in each st across. Turn. (14 sts)
20. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in same st. Sc in next 12 sts. Work 2 sc in last st. Turn. (16 sts)
21. Ch 1. Sc in each st across. Turn. (16 sts)
22. Ch 1. Sc2tog. Sc in next 12 sts. Sc2tog. (14 sts)
Tie off, leave a long tail.
Crochet Candy Corn Hat Construction:
Be sure all the ends are weaved in on your candy corn ear flaps. Pin the ear flap in place before you begin. Count 8 stitches to the right of the seam.Line up the flap so only the yellow rows are on the hat, with the rest hanging down.
The candy corn edge should be flush with the 7 st from the seam. Use the tail to sew up the side of the yellow stripe, across the yellow top and down the other side of the yellow stripe.
Repeat for the other flap , except attached the candy corn flap at 7 sts to the left of the seam.
Once both candy corn ear flaps are in place, you can finish with a pom-pom and tassels.
Need help making and attaching your pom-pom? See how here.
To make your tassels, cut 16 lengths of yarn from chin to arm with Cream. Take 8 of them and pull the ends through the tip of the candy corn flap. Pull so all the ends are equal lengths. Braid them and tie a trim not at the end. Clip the ends.
Happy crochet season y’all! and Happy Halloween!
Going to make this a christmas hat. Thanks for sharing the pattern
That’s a cute idea! You are welcome!
Thanks for sharing your patterns.
You’re welcome Mary <3
Beth, this hat is adorable! Thanks for again sharing hour talents with us. And I, too, am an avid candy corn fan. Try mixing it with even amounts of dry or honey roasted peanuts!! Tastes like a caramel apple. 🤗 Tha
Thank you so much :) Oh my goodness, that sounds delicious, I need to try it!