This post included affiliate links (click here for more info). Thanks for supporting Whistle and Ivy!
Growing up, we spent most of our holidays in the very tip-top of Utah at my Grandma’s house. She made delicious meals, personal-sized pies for each grandchild, and the most amazing cheeseball you ever tasted. It was always snowy and wonderful. My grandpa, a retired dairy farmer, also wore a plaid jacket around the house during the cold months, and I especially remember it during our Christmas get-together. Every time I see red and black checked plaid, it reminds me of those wonderful snowy Christmas’s surrounded by family and my beloved grandparents. I don’t incorporate a ton of plaid into my wardrobe (I don’t wear a lot of red), but it screams HOLIDAY to me, and I love how this crochet plaid slouchy hat turned out, perfect for this time of year!
This hat is almost ALL dc stitches (yay!), and works up pretty quickly. The color changes can slow you down a bit, but I made this hat in just a couple hours. I wished I had a fur pom-pom on hand (fur and plaid 😍), but I couldn’t wait to share this cute plaid hat with you. I will have to make another one, I guess :)
Crochet Plaid Slouchy Hat
Gauge: 14 dc = 4″
Ribbed Band (use black)
1. Hdc in 2nd ch from hook. Hdc 5. Turn. (6 sts)
2. – 46. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 4 in BLO. Hdc in last st, going through both loops. Turn. (6 sts)
Note: You can make the hat band longer to make the hat larger ( or visa versa). When you begin the hat body, make sure your first round is worked in multiples of 6.
Your piece should be about 15″ long (unstretched)
Fold long piece in half and sl st up the side, making a band. Turn so the seam is on the inside and your loop is at the top.
1. Continuing where you left off from the band, Ch 1 and sc in same space. Sc all around the top of the band, working an increase about every 6 stitches, achieving a total of 72 sts. Join with a sl st.
2. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc in next st. Begin a 3rd dc, but finish the final pull through with black. Drop wine and carry it through the next 3 stitches. Work 2 dc with black. Finished 3rd dc with wine. Continue this pattern all around the hat. Join with a sl st. (72 sts)
3. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc in next st. Begin a 3rd dc, but finish the final pull through with Wine. Drop Red and carry it through the next 3 stitches. Work 2 dc with Wine. Finished 3rd dc with Red. Continue this alternating pattern all around the hat. Join with a sl st. (72 sts)
4. – 15. Repeat rows 2 and 3 respectively until you reach 14 total rows.
Tie off your yarn and weave in ends.
To close the hat, cut a length of yarn longer than the circumference of the hat and thread it through your darning needle. Turn your hat inside-out. Sew a running stitch all around the top of the hat.
Once you reach the beginning, pull the thread tight cinching the hat closed. Tie a firm and sturdy knot. Clip ends. Turn hat right-side out.
Make and attach a pom-pom using this tutorial.
Are you mad about plaid?!
I hope you love your new crochet plaid hat :)
Want more crochet plaid awesomeness? Check out these!
Like this free crochet plaid slouchy hat pattern? Subscribe!
(and get a free gift!)
Join our Facebook Community! We need YOU!
You might also like these FREE crochet pattern:
Check out these too!