This crochet hat is a remix of my beloved crochet plaid slouchy, worked from the top down! This is for crocheters who loved the plaid hat, but prefect top down over bottom up. This hat is just as cozy, just worked in a different way. Enjoy the free crochet pattern!
It’s pretty late in the season for more crochet buffalo plaid, but I wanted to squeeze one more in before the official change of the season. I had several people in the Facebook group ask for a Top Down Crochet Plaid Hat, but I wasn’t sure if I could get it out before spring. I actually prefer bottom-up myself, and feel like top-down is less familiar to me. It took a bit of tweaking, but came together nicely!
Want more plaid?
The best part of making this hat top-down is that you can easily make it as slouchy as you want, or you can work less rows and make it a beanie. It really is quite easy to make, especially if you are already familiar with crochet plaid.
This is my attempt at a St. Patty’s hat. I am not sure I love my color choice!
It’s definitely green.
(affiliate–> Make with Knit Picks Brava in Grass, Dublin, Asphalt Heather, Cobblestone Heather).
Feeling intimidated by crochet plaid? You can do it! I made a course just for you! Learn plaid from start to finish, PLUS both my Plaid Collection ebooks are included in the course! Enroll here.
TOP-DOWN CROCHET HAT – FREE CROCHET PATTERN
Please remember: You are free to use this pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
Gauge: 14 dc = 4″
Magic Ring with 1st color.
1. Ch 2. Dc 12 into ring. Join with sl st. (12 sts)
2. Ch 2. 2 dc in each st around. (24 sts)
3. Ch 2. 2 dc in same st (Switch colors to 2nd color). Dc 2 in each st around, switching colors after each 2 st set. (48 sts) [For help switching colors, watch the plaid stitch video]
4. Continuting with 2nd color. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc 2 in next st (switch color to 3rd color).*Dc. 2 dc in next st (switch color) repeat all around. (72 sts) (Your piece should have an approx. 5.25″ diameter)
If it’s a bit ruffly that is normal and perfectly okay.
5. – 17. Ch 2. Work plaid stitch all around the hat. Join with sl st. (72 sts) (make less rows here for a beanie-style hat).
On last row, Join Color 4 with sl st.
18. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join with sl st.
19. – 20. Ch 1. Sc in BLO all around. Join with sl st. (72 sts)
Finish by adding a pom-pom. I make my own with fur fabric!
Be sure to share your beautiful version in the group>>>
Join our Facebook Community! We need YOU!
Like this Top Down Crochet Plaid Hat? Subscribe!
(and get a free gift!)