Welcome to Day Two our crochet nativity crochet along! Today we are continuing with the project by making Mary. Mary is seen keeling at the manger of her newborn babe. She is kneeling with both feet under her and her knees to the front.
CROCHET NATIVITY CAL – MARY
Please remember: You are free to use this pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
PLEASE read my Disclaimer before working my free patterns!
What you need: (affiliate links)
– Fingering Weight Yarn (Palette Yarn)
[Wheat Heather, Marble Heather (or Ash) Wonderland Heather (or other color for her cloak)]
– 3.5mm Hook
– Darning Needle
– Glue Gun
Abbreviations: (American terms)
Ch – Chain
Sc – Single Crochet
Sc2tog- SC decrease
Dc – Double Crochet
Dc2tog – Double Crochet Decrease
St – Stitch
Gauge: 12 sc = 2″ (make sure your stitches are tight so you can’t see stuffing between them)
Want the whole set? Get the entire nativity in an ad-free PDF!
Where would you like to shop today?
The PDF is also included in my All-access pass pattern library, the Endless Bundle! Upgrade to get my entire library of patterns, videos and courses! See you on the inside!
Head: (ch 1 does NOT count)
Use Wheat Heather
1. Ch 1. Sc 8 in ring. Join(8 sts)
2. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in each st. Join. (16 sts)
3. Ch 1. Sc in same st. *Sc in next 2 sts, work 2 sc in next st* work 5 times. Join. (21 sts)
4. – 6. Ch 1. Sc in each st. Join. (21 sts)
7. Ch 1. Sc in next 3 sts. *Sc2tog. Sc in next 2 sts* work 4 times. Sc2tog. Join (16 sts)
8. Ch 1. Sc2tog 8 times. Join. (8 sts)
9. Ch 1. Sc in each st. Join. (8 sts)
Join Marble Heather (or Ash)
1. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in each st around. Join. (16 sts)
2. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join. (16 sts)
3. Ch 1. *Sc in next 3 sts. Work 2 sc in next st* work 4 times. Join. (20 sts)
4. – 7. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join. (20 sts)
8. Ch 1. Sc in next 7 sts. *Work 2 sc in next st. Sc in next st* work 3 times. Sc in next 7 sts. Join ( 23 sts)
9. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join. (23 sts)
10. Ch 1. Sc in next 8 sts. *Work 2 sc in next st. Sc in next st* work 3 times. Sc in next 9 sts. Join. (26 sts)
11. – 12. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join. (26 sts)
13. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in same st. Work 2 sc in next 2 sts. Sc in next 20 sts. Work 2 sc in last 3 sts. Join. (32 sts)
14. Ch 1. Hdc in each st around. (32 sts)
15. Working in 3rd loop: Ch 1. *Sc in next st. Sc2tog. * work 3 times. Sc in next 4 sts. *Sc in next st. Sc2tog. * work 3 times. Sc in next 4 sts. *Sc in next st. Sc2tog* work twice. Join (24 sts)
Stuff body. Place stones or weights.
16. Ch 1. *Sc in next st. Sc2tog. * work 8 times. Join with sl st. (16 sts)
17. Ch 1. Sc2tog 8 times. Join. (8 sts)
Use tail to sew small hole shut.
Use Wonderland Heather
1. Dc in 3rd ch from hook. Dc in next 29 chs. Turn. (30 sts)
2. Ch 2. Dc in next 30 sts. Turn. (30 sts)
3. Ch 2. Dc in next 11 sts. Dc2tog 4 times. Dc in next 11 sts. Turn. (26 sts)
4. Ch 2. Dc in next 9 sts. Dc2tog 4 times. Dc in next 9 sts. Turn. (22 sts)
5. Ch 2. Dc in next 7 sts. Dc2tog 4 times. Dc in next 7 sts. Turn. (18 sts)
Fold in half so the first row is showing wrong side up. Sl st down the short side to make a hood.
Once she is finished you can put two small dabs of hot glue on the bottom corners of the shawl to keep it in place. Be super careful because you don’t get two chances to glue it!
Come back tomorrow for our next pattern in the CAL!
Get all the patterns on the main page here.
Is there an error in pattern for kneeling g wise man?
I have tried crocheting it multiple times with no success.
Which step are you on?
I love your nativity. I am a beginner crocheter. Do you offer videos for each of the pieces?
I don’t have videos at this time Traci, very sorry!
Thank you for this gorgeous pattern. Can you please tell me how many nativity sets I might be able to make with the full set of colours? I’m about to order my wool and can see myself wanting to make numerous sets. Thanks again!
Hi Linda! You can definitely get two, and if you are willing to mix and match colors, you can get 3.
Bethany, thank you for sharing your pattern and your gift. I made my Nativity Scene following your easy instructions.
Thank you! You are welcome!
Bethany, I am working on Mary, and I just wanted to say, I ADORE her kneeling shape! Well done!!
Oh thank you so much Elizabeth! I appreciate that!
A couple of questions. Do you not join the rounds after row 8 ( mary) and what does row 15 mean, working in the 3rd loop. Thank you so much for the patterns. i am making these for next season. It will give me something to do this winter. I am so excited to make this natvity set.
On row 15 when you say the 3rd loop what exactly are you talking about ~the 3stitch or skip 2 go into 3 rd stitch? I’m kinda confused . Other than that it’s wonderful. Thanks
Thee 3rd loop is the loop on the back of the hdc stitch, behind the top two loops.
Oops, I didn’t know what it was either so I watched a video and did the front 3rd loop. It still looks alright.
Is there a reason for joining the rounds vs continuous round?
Yes, I prefer not to have slanted rounds. You can work in continuous rounds if you prefer.
Do you join every round?
Other than the pieces turning out larger than yours, could this be done with worsted weight yarn? I would like to use up scraps I have.
quick question …. on the angel wings ?? wondering if it’s just me or if the total stitch count on round 4 is incorrect…..I end up with 72 stitches, which seems right when I do the math. That in turn makes the stitch count on round 5 wrong and and there’s an extra stitch ?? Have gone over it and can’t seem to figure out what I’m doing wrong but will certainly admit it if I am!! haha……thanks so much, Darla
You might be right! I am out of town right now and can’t check it, but it’s very possible I made a mistake on the stitch count. Thanks for letting me know!
How come my marble heather from knit picks looks grey, but yours looks blue?? Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me?
It has a blu-ish tint to it. It’s hard to take a photo of the exact color, I’m sorry! It’s a gray, with a very slight SLIGHT bluish tint.
Do I stuff the body or just the head?
The whole body, just like the other figures.
At which step is best to stuff the body? Thank you
and add the stone
Sorry about that! After step 15.
I love the Nativity CAL. I’ve done the previous one, not when the CAL was going on and now I am updating it. Many thanks.
You are very welcome!
help i can not supscribe with my mail ? what can i do !
Send me a message with your email and I will et you set up!
Love these!!! Have already made several from last year. I am looking forward to the new pieces.