Looking for a quick stocking? This plaid topped chunky crochet stocking is a fun, quick project for Christmas! Make a whole set to use or just for display. This post contains affiliate links, which means I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
I designed a plaid stocking a couple years ago. I really liked how the fur complimented the plaid, but it’s not exactly a quick project. I wanted to design on that would work up faster! This chunky stocking is fast to work up with a pretty stitch texture and the buffalo plaid accent at the top.
I think this crochet stocking would work well as decor or stuffed with goodies. You decide!
PLAID TOPPED CHUNKY CROCHET STOCKING – FREE CROCHET PATTERN
Please remember: You are free to use this plaid topped chunky crochet stocking pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
PLEASE read my Disclaimer before working my free patterns!
What you need: (affiliate links)
– 10mm Hook
– Bernat Softee Chunky
2 balls of Heather Gray
1 ball of Red,
1 ball of black
2 ball of Wine
Abbreviations: US Terms
Ch – chain
Sc – single crochet
Sc2tog – Sc decrease
Dc – Double Crochet
Sl st – Slip Stitch
St – stitch
You will LOVE The Endless Bundle – it’s literally ENDLESS! My membership program includes the entire Whistle and Ivy ad-free pattern library (to download and keep!) videos, full tutorials, courses (including my Learn Crochet Plaid course!), community, and much more. See you on the inside!
⭐️ LEARN MORE ⭐️
The ad-free PDF for this Plaid Topped Chunky Crochet Stocking Pattern is also available in my shops!
Where would you like to shop today?
Whistle and Ivy Shop
Begin with Wine.
Work a Magic ring
1. Sc 10 into ring. (10 sts)
2. Ch 1. *Sc in next st. Work 2 sc in next st* work 5 times. Join. (15 sts)
3. Ch 1. *Sc in next 2 sts. Work 2 sc in next st* work 5 times. Join. (20 sts)
4. Ch 1. *Sc in next 4 sts. Work 2 sc in next st* work 4 times. (24 sts)
5. Ch 1. *Sc in next 5 sts. Work 2 sc in next st* work 4 times. (28 sts)
6. Ch 1. Sc in next 3 sts. Work 2 sc in next st. *Sc in next 6 sts. Work 2 sc in next st* work 3 times. Sc in next 3 sts. Join with sl st. (32 sts)
Join Gray Heather.
7. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join. (32 sts)
8. Ch 1. Work a dc, sc in same st. *Sk next st. Work a dc, sc in next st* work 15 times. (32 sts)
9. Ch 1. Work a sc, dc in same st. *Sk next st. Work a sc, dc in next st* work 15 times. (32 sts)
10. – 17. Repeat rows 8 and 9 respectively.
Cut Gray Heather.
Join Wine in 7th sc to the right of the join.
1. Sc in next 15 sts. (Pay close attention to the seam and work a sc just in the stitches, not the join or slip stitch) Turn.
2. Ch 1. Sc2tog. Sc in next 11 sts. Sc2tog. Turn. (13 sts)
3. Ch 1. Sc in next 6 sts. Sc2tog. Sc in next 5 sts (12 sts)
4. Ch 1. Sc2tog. Sc in next 8 sts. Sc2tog (10 sts)
5. Ch 1. Sc2tog. Sc in next 2 sts. Sc2tog. Sc in next 2 sts. Sc2tog (7 sts)
6. Ch 1. Sc2tog. Sc in next 3 sts. Sc2tog. Turn. (5 sts)
7. Ch 1. Sc2tog Sc in next st. Sc2tog. Turn. (3 sts)
Join Gray Heather in the sc of row 7 of heel.
18. Ch 1. Sc 8 down the side of the heel. Starting in the sc nearest the heel, work a dc and sc. Sk next st. *Work a dc, sc in next st. Sk next st* work 8 times. Starting in the next sc, work 8 sc up the side of the heel. Join with the first st. (32 sts)
19. – 25. Repeat rows 9 and 8 respectively (be sure to work round 9 instructions for row 19)
Work a few sl sts to bring the seam to the exact middle of the back of the heel (you can also work a sl st every few rows to keep the seam at the back of the heel when working rows 19 -25.
(for this part of the stocking, the ch 2 will count as first st of the round)
(if your seam in centered in the back to the heel, then join Black yarn at the seam. If not, join Black at the back of the heel.
26. – 27. Ch 2 (counts as first st). Dc in next 3 sts. Join Wine. Dc in next 4 sts. *Switch to black. Dc in next 4 sts. Switch to Wine. Dc in next 4 sts* work 3 times. Join with beginning chain.
28. – 29. With wine. Ch 2. Dc in next 3 sts. Join Berry Red. Dc in next 4 sts. *Switch to Wine. Dc in next 4 sts. Switch to Red. Dc in next 4 sts* work 3 times. Join with beginning chain.
30. – 31. Work row 26
Ch 6. Sl st down into same st. (forming a loop).
Tie off. Weave in ends.
I just noticed…we go from row 25 to row 30 (plaid). Are there some rows missing?
Under “Plaid Top” there are rows 26-27 and 28-29
This looks like a cute project
Hi Beth! Picking up my yarn for this after work today! What is the completed size of the stocking? I read through and can’t find it…just want to make sure it will be big enough for what I want it for. Thanks!