This post contains affiliate links, (click here for more info) which allows me to earn a small commission from your purchase. Thanks for supporting Whistle and Ivy!
I hope you are having a great week! Last week was rather slow on my blog due to the some hosting issues. I meant to have this pattern posted last Thursday, but was unable to until today. Due to the popularity of my women’s Puppy Love Slouchy (and also because of a reader request <3), I decided to whip up this Toddler Puppy Love Hat.
This hat will actually fit a range of ages. It was loose on my 13-month-old, and a tad tight on my 4-year-old, so I think this hat would fit great in between those ages. If you desire to go down or up a size, I would recommend going down or up a hook size. The multiples of 6 make it hard to make gradual adjustments.
Toddler Puppy Love Hat – Approx 17″ circumference.
Please remember: You are free to use this pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
What you need:
- Size H Hook
- Medium Weight Yarn (Knit Picks Brava in Cobblestone Heather, Red, Orange, Canary, Alfalfa and Cornflower)
- Darning needle (for waving in ends)
Abbreviations: (American Terms)
St – Stitch
Ch – Chain
Sc – Single crochet
Hdc – half double crochet
Dc – double crochet
Dc2tog – Double Crochet Decrease
BLO – Back Loops Only
Sl st – Slip Stitch
Sk – Skip
Gauge: 7 sts = 2″
3-dc cluster: Yarn over, insert hook. Yarn over, pull through st (3 loops on hook). Yarn over, pull through first 2 loops (2 loops remaining on hook). Yarn over, insert in same st. Yarn over, pull through. Yarn over, pull through first 2 loops (3 loops remaining on hook). Yarn over, insert into same st. Yarn over, pull through. Yarn over and pull through first 2 loops. Yarn over, pull through all 4 remaining loops. If it’s easier to understand, it’s a basically a dc3tog worked all in the same st.
1. Hdc in 2nd ch from hook. Hdc 4. Turn. (5 sts)
2. – 35. Ch 2. Hdc in same st. Hdc 3 in BLO. Hdc in last st, going through both loops. Turn. (5 sts)
Don’t tie off.
Fold your piece in half, and sl st up the short side, forming a ribbed band. Fold over so your seam is on the inside. Continue on to the body without tying off.
Body: (work row 1 across the top of the band, finding loops to work into, spaced as evenly as possible.
1. Ch 1. Sc in same space. Sc 66 around the top of the band. I worked an increase ( 2 sts worked in the same sp) about every 10 sts to be sure I could get the correct count. Join with sl st.
2. Join 2nd color. Ch 1. Dc 4 in same st. Ch 1. Sk 5 sts. *Dc 4 in next st. Ch 1. Sk 5 sts* work 10 times. Join with a sl st with first dc. (55 sts) Click over to the women’s hat for some visual help here.
3. Bring up 1st color. *Ch 2 (ch 2 counts as 2 sts). Sc in middle st of dc shell. Ch 2. Work a 3-dc cluster in 3rd sk st from the previous round.* work 11 times. Join with sl st with first ch. (66 sts)
4. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc in each st around. Join with sl st. (66 sts)
5. Sl st 5. Join 3rd color in same st. Ch 1. Dc 4 in same st. Ch 1, sk 5 sts. *Dc 4 in next st. Ch 1, sk 5 sts* work 10 times. Join with a sl st with first dc. (55 sts) Tie off.
6. Join 1st color in the 1st dc of the shell before the join.
*Ch 2. Sc in middle sp of shell. ch 2, work a 3-dc cluster in 3rd sk st from the previous round* work 11 times. Join with sl st. (66 sts).
7. Work row 4.
8. Join 4th color. Work row 2.
9. Join 1st color. Work row 3.
10. Work row 4.
11. Work row 5, joining 4th color instead of 3rd.
12. Join 1st color. Work row 3.
13. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc in each st around. Join with sl st. (66 sts)
14. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc2tog. *Dc, dc2tog* work 21 times. Join with sl st. (44 sts)
15. Ch 2. Dc2tog 22 times. Join with sl st. (22 sts). Tie off.
Finish by adding a pom-pom using this tutorial.
Don’t miss these fun patterns!