This post uses affiliate links(click here for more info). I earn a commission from your purchase. Thank you for supporting Whistle and Ivy!
We don’t have a large celebrations of Valentine’s Day in our house. The Boy isn’t in school yet, so there’s no need to spend weeks planning Pinterest-perfect Valentines for his classmates, but I do think the sentiment is nice, and there’s nothing wrong with reflecting and thinking about ways we can better show our love to our family. So in that way, I am not a total Valentine’s Day Grinch. But even if you are, this Puppy Love Heart Slouchy is a super cute and comfy slouchy that can be worn all winter long. Plus there is Toddler version too!
Puppy Love Heart Slouchy – (For teens and women)
What you need:
- 5 Colors of Medium Weight Yarn (Red hat: Knit Picks Brava in Dove Heather, Red, Rouge, Cotton Candy, Blush) (Blue Hat: Knit Picks Brava in Dove Heather, Marina, Cornflower, Mint, White)
- H Hook
- Yarn Needle
Ch – Chain
Sc – Single Crochet
Hdc – Half Double Crochet
Dc – Double Crochet
Sk – Skip
St – Stitch
Sl st – Slip Stitch
BLO – Back Loops Only
3-dc cluster: Yarn over, insert hook. Yarn over, pull through st (3 loops on hook). Yarn over, pull through first 2 loops (2 loops remaining on hook). Yarn over, insert in same st. Yarn over, pull through. Yarn over, pull through first 2 loops (3 loops remaining on hook). Yarn over, insert into same st. Yarn over, pull through. Yarn over and pull through first 2 loops. Yarn over, pull through all 4 remaining loops. If it’s easier to understand, it’s a basically a dc3tog worked all in the same st.
1. Hdc in 2nd ch from hook. Hdc in each st. Turn. (6 sts)
2.- 39. Ch 2. Hdc in same st. Hdc 4 in BLO. Hdc in last st, going through both loops. Turn. (6 sts).
Don’t tie off after last row.
1. Fold the band in half, and using the loop from the last hdc, pull it through and sl st down the side, forming a band. Don’t tie off.
Turn the band, so the seam is on the inside. Beginning where you left off sewing the band: Ch 1. Sc in same sp.
From here, you will sc around the band. Work the stitches close together, working an increase (2 sts in the same sp) every 6 sts or so, until you have 72 total stitches in the round. Join with a sl st with the first st, using Red.
2. Ch 1. Dc 4 in same st. Ch 1. Sk 5 sts. *Dc 4 in next st. Ch 1. Sk 5 sts* work 11 times. Join with a sl st with the first st using Dove Heather. (60 sts)
3. Ch 2. Sc in middle of shell (not in a st, in the space between the stitches). Ch 2. Work a 3-dc cluster in the 3rd st of the 5 skipped sts from the previous round. *Ch 2. Sc in middle sp of shell. Ch 2. Work a 3-dc cluster in 3rd sk st from previous round* repeat all around the hat. Join with a sl st with first chain. (72 sts)
4. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc in each st around. Join with sl st. (72 sts)
5. Sl st 6. Join Rouge in same st. Ch 1. Dc 4 in same st. Sk 5 sts. Ch 1. *Dc 4 in next st. Ch 1. Sk 5 sts* work 11 times. Join with a sl st. Tie off. ( 60 sts)
6. Join Dove Heather 1st dc of the shell worked before the join. Work row 3.
7. Work row 4.
8. Join Cotton Candy. Work row 2.
9. Join Dove Heather. Work row 3.
10. Work 4.
11. Work row 5. Join Blush.
12. Work row 6.
13. Work row 4.
14. Ch 2. Dc in same st. *Dc2tog, dc in next st* work 23 times. Work a dc2tog with last 2 sts. (48 sts)
15. Ch 2. Dc in each st around. (48 sts)
16. Ch 2. Dc2tog all around. (24 sts) Tie off.
To close the hat, turn it inside out. Put a length of yarn on your needle and sew in and out each stitch across the top. Pull it tight, cinching the top closed. Tie a very sturdy knot and clip end.
Finish with a pom pom on top (get the tutorial here).
I was given an amazing sugar cookie recipe from a family friend, so I think The Boy and I will make and decorate a delicious batch of heart-shaped cookies on Valentine’s Day and deliver them around the neighborhood (one of his favorite things to do).
Don’t miss the Toddler Version!
What do you do on Valentine’s Day?
You might like these slouchy hats too:
Check out these too!