These women’s crochet flip-flops are a very comfortable summer sandals. They are made with stretchy, comfy t-shirt yarn and feature a thick felt sole, so they are perfect for wearing around the house or to lounge outside on your patio. Enjoy this free crochet pattern and make yourself some women’s crochet flip-flops this season! This post includes affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Whistle and Ivy!
One of my most popular patterns is my Crochet Baby Flips-Flops (have you made them?!). I designed a version for women shortly after using a #6 bulky yarn after I got several requests. I liked them, but the soles were a bit floppy and the yarn stretched out a bit after a while. I think they are worth making still, because they are very comfortable, but when I discovered Bernat Home Dec a few weeks ago, I knew I needed to redesign my women’s crochet flip-flops using this yarn. Home Dec yarn is a t-shirt yarn and it has a ton of stretch, which is perfect for slippers and shoes. These ended up so comfortable, and I love the thick felt on the sole.
I highly, highly recommend that you don’t substitute yarn for these crochet flip-flops. The pattern counts rely a ton on the elasticity of the yarn and not many yarns have as much stretch as Home Dec. If you choose to substitute the yarn, you may need to change the counts on the body of the flip-flops so they aren’t too tight.
You may also like:
WOMEN’S CROCHET FLIP-FLOPS – FREE CROCHET PATTERN
Please remember: You are free to use this women’s crochet flip-flops pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
PLEASE read my Disclaimer before working my free patterns!
What you need: (affiliate links)
– 7 mm Hook
– Bernat Home Dec in 2 colors
– Darning Needle
– Plastic Yarn Needle
-Leather Punch (similar)
– 3mm Felt
Gauge: 9 sc = 3″ (Gauge Pattern)
The written pattern below is FREE in-text and includes size 8. However, if you would like a pretty downloadable PDF that includes sizes 6 – 9 you can get one in my Ravelry or Etsy shops. The PDF is formatted for easy crocheting on-the-go or for easy printing, it doesn’t include ads or comments. Thanks for your support!
⭐️ WANT IT ALL? JOIN THE ENDLESS BUNDLE ALL-ACCESS PASS! LEARN MORE HERE.
US WOMEN Shoe SIZE 8:
(Approx. 10”) — please work a gauge swatch
Sole: (worked in the round)(make a right and left)
1. 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Sc 10. Hdc 2. Dc 6. 7 dc in last st.Working across the other side: Dc 6. Hdc 2. Sc 10. 2 sc in last ch (same ch as the first 2 sc)Join with first st. (47 sts)
2. Ch 1. 2 hdc in next 2 sts. Hdc 19. 2 hdc in next 5 sts. Hdc 19. 2 hdc in last 2 sts. Join with sl st. (56 sts)
3. Ch 1. *Sc in next st. 2 in next st* work twice. Sc 19. *Sc in next st. 2 sc in next st* work 5 times. Sc 19. *Sc in next st. 2 sc in next st* work twice. Join with a sl st. (65 sts)
4. *Sc in next 2 st. 2 sc in next st* work twice. Sc 21. 2 sc in next st. Dc in next 2 sts. 2 dc in next st. Dc in next 2 sts. 2 sc in next st. *Sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st* work twice. Sc 19. *Sc in next 2 sts. 2 sc in next st* work twice. (74 sts)
4. *Sc in next 2 st. 2 sc in next st* work twice. Sc 21. 2 sc in next st. *Sc in next 2 sts. 2 sc in next st.* work twice. Dc in next 2 sts. 2 dc in next st. Dc in next 2 sts. 2 dc in next st. Sc 19. *Sc in next 2 sts. 2 sc in next st* work twice. (74 sts)
Felt Sole: (see photos)
Before you make the body of the crochet flip-flops, use the sole as a guide for your felt sole. Using a permanent marker, lightly make a dotted line around one of your soles. Fold the felt in half and cut along your dotted line, cutting two at once.
Next, punch holes near the very edge of the each sole using a leather punch, spaced about 1/4″ apart.
Set soles aside.
Body: (For both slippers)
Using second color:
Sl st al around the sole (74 sl sts)
Find middle, with the heel at the bottom. Count 15 to the right, and join yarn. (You will be working through the sl sts for this round.) Work towards the heel.
1. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc 4. Ch 13. (this is the heel. It looks short, but the yarn is very stretchy, you want the heel to be snug) Sk 22 sts, sc in next st. Sc 4. Ch 23 (this is the thong part. It looks tight, but you want it to be snug. You can change these numbers, but try 23 first so see how it feels.) (46 sts)
Join with a sl st at the beginning, making sure it’s not twisted.
2. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. (46 sts) Tie off and weave in ends.
Strap: This is a separate piece.
Using First Color:
1. Work a sc foundation with 15 sts. Turn.
2. Ch 1. Hdc in each st across (15 sts)
3. Ch 1. Sc in each st across. (15 sts)
Important: You must use a plastic yarn needle to sew the felt sole to the crochet flip-flop. The sharp tip of a regular darning needle will go through the fabric yarn and cause a big mess.
Starting near the heel and going in and out through the holes on the felt sole, begin sewing the felt sole to the flip flop. When you reach the side, sew the one side of flap in place. Continue sewing around the shoe until you reach the spot exactly opposite of the sewn flap. Sew the remaining side in place. Finish sewing the felt sole in place.
To finish the flip-flops, you need to sew the toe piece in place. Find the middle dc of the 7 sts on the toe from Round 1. You will attach the toe piece piece in the first stitch to the R for the left shoe and the first stitch to the L for the right shoe. Go up through the shoe and felt sole(you can poke a hole with a sharp darning needle), wrap around the toe piece and back down. Do this a few times until it feels secure. Tie a sturdy, but small knot on the back. You can secure it with calking or hot glue.
Slip these babies on and enjoy the comfort of your new adult crochet flip-flops!
Don’t forget to make your crochet flip-flops non-slip! Try out one of my 7 tried ways to make crochet slippers non-slip: