This post includes affiliate links (I earn commission). Please click here for more info.
This Women’s Button Trapper Hat has been a long time coming. I got so many requests from readers who loved the Baby Trapper Hat, but couldn’t seem to find room on my calendar for it. That is why I love the end of December and the month of January: new beginnings. It’s a perfect time to get settle down after the busy holiday and work on things you haven’t had time for. This hat is worked with two strands, so it’s fun, chunky and really warm.
Women’s Button Trapper Hat
Please remember: You are free to use this pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
What you need:
Abbreviations: American Terms
Ch – Chain
St – Stitch
Sc – Single Crochet
Hdc – Half Double Crochet
Dc – Double Crochet
Sc2tog – Single Crochet Decrease
Sk – Skip
Sl st – Slip Stitch
Gauge: 8 sts = 3”
Note: This hat is worked with 2 strands of Medium Weight Yarn. It is easiest to work with two skeins at once.
Begin with a magic ring. Ch does not count as stitch.
1. Sc 8 in the ring. Join with sl st.
2. Ch 1. 2 Hdc in same st. 2 hdc in each st around. (16 sts). Join with a sl st.
3. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc. 2 hdc in next st* work 7 times. (24 sts) Join with sl st.
4. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc 2. 2 hdc in next st* work 7 times. (32 sts). Join with sl st.
5. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 2. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc 3. 2 hdc in next st* work 7 times. (40 sts). Join with sl st.
6. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 3. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc 4. 2 hdc in next st* work 7 times. (48 sts). Join with sl st.
7. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 4. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc 5. 2 hdc in next st*. work 7 times. (56 sts). Join with sl st.
8. – 15. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 55. (56 sts) Join with sl st.
Holding hat upside-down, count 17 sts to the right of the join, on the back of the hat. Join second color. Ch does not count.
1. – 6. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc 5. Hdc. Sc 20. Hdc. Dc 6. Turn. (34 sts)
Tie off after 6th row.
With hat upside-down and working from the inside, find the worked stitch of the back flap on the right.
1. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 22. Work hdc in same stitch at the back flap. Turn. (24 sts)
2. – 6. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 23. Turn. (24 sts)
7. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Ch 2. Sk 2 sts. Hdc in next st. Hdc 17. Ch 2. Sk 2 sts, hdc in last st. Turn. (24 sts)
8. Ch 1. Sc2tog. Sc 20. Sc2tog. (22 sts)
Make a large pom-pom for the top using this tutorial or Pom Pom maker.
Make the tassels by cutting 6 lengths of yarn about a yard long. Hold them in a bunch with their ends lined up, and pull all 6 through the bottom of the back flap using your hook, letting 12 strands hang down. Braid the strands together and tie a knot. Trim the ends even. Repeat for the other side.
I hope you enjoy this Womens’ Button Trapper Hat pattern! Please share to help support Whistle and Ivy for more free patterns! Subscribe here so you don’t miss anything.
You may like these hat patterns as well:
LEVEL-UP YOUR CROCHET -
5 Techniques you will use all the time
A few tips and tricks can go a long way in simplifying your craft.
Let me help!