This plaid crochet plant basket is lovey way to gift a beautiful poinsettia this holiday season. It would also look beautiful around a tabletop-sized evergreen or Christmas tree. The post contains affiliate links which means I get a small commission at no extra cost to you.
I was gifted a very healthy poinsettia plant last Christmas and I was pleased as punch to find out the Poinsettias are actually very great for black thumbers like myself. They lovey drying out completely before being watered thoroughly, which is kinda my jam. I made this all-seasons basket for it during the summer, but I wanted to make a plaid crochet plant basket that worked for the Christmas season.
(fun fact: it’s REALLY hard to get a poinsettia red after you let it go green. It involves a lot of dark/light management that I am in no position to deal with right now, so I put sprigs of fake poinsettias in my green plant! It works, haha! )
Isn’t this just the prettiest holiday gift? I am also imaginging it around a tiny tabletop sized evergreen. It would look so pretty on the porch or entryway table. Do you have a plant lover on your gift list?
PLAID CROCHET PLANT BASKET – FREE CROCHET PATTERN
Please remember: You are free to use this plaid crochet plant basket pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
PLEASE read my Disclaimer before working my free patterns!
What you need: (affiliate links)
– 7 mm hook
– Dishie Cotton (work with two strands) 1-Fiesta Red 2-Pomegranate 1-Black
– Burlap Ribbon
– Darning Needle
Abbreviations: US Terms
Ch – chain
Sc – single crochet
Dc – Double Crochet
Hdc – Half Double Crochet
Sl st – Slip Stitch
St – stitch
LOVE THIS FREE PATTERN BUT WANT MORE?
You will LOVE The Endless Bundle – it’s literally ENDLESS! My membership program includes the entire Whistle and Ivy ad-free pattern library (to download and keep!) videos, full tutorials, courses (including my Learn Crochet Plaid course!), community, and much more. See you on the inside!
⭐️ LEARN MORE ⭐️
The ad-free PDF for this Crochet Plaid Basket Pattern is also available in my shops!
Where would you like to shop today?
Learn the Tartan Plaid Technique
(WORK WITH TWO STRANDS)
With Pomegranate, begin with a magic ring. (you will notice the base is black, but I mistyped and put 2 skeins of Pomegranate, when I meant 2 skeins of black, so if you bought according to the materials list, you will need to make the base with Pomegranate.)
1. Work 8 sc into the ring. Join.
2. Ch 1. Sc in next st. Work 3 sc in next st* work 4 times. Join. ( 16 sts)
3. Ch 1. Sc in next 2 sts. Work 3 sc in next st. *Sc in next 3 sts. Work 3 sc in next st* work three times. Sc in last st. Join. (24 sts)
4. Ch 1. Sc in next 3 sts. Work 3 sc in next st. *Sc in next 5 sts. Work 3 sc in next st* work three times. Sc in last 2 sts. Join. (32 sts)
5. Ch 1. Sc in next 4 sts. Work 3 sc in next st. *Sc in next 7 sts. Work 3 sc in next st* work three times. Sc in last 3 sts. Join. (40 sts)
6. Ch 1. Sc in next 5 sts. Work 3 sc in next st. *Sc in next 9 sts. Work 3 sc in next st* work three times. Sc in last 4 sts. Join. (48 sts)
7. Ch 1. Sc in next 6 sts. Work 3 sc in next st. *Sc in next 11 sts. Work 3 sc in next st* work three times. Sc in last 5 sts. Join. (56 sts)
8. Ch 1. Sc in next 7 sts. Work 3 sc in next st. *Sc in next 13 sts. Work 3 sc in next st* work three times. Sc in last 6 sts. Join. (64 sts)
9. Ch 1. Hdc in next 8 sts. Work 3 hdc in next st. *Hdc in next 15 sts. Work 3 hdc in next st* work three times. Hdc in last 7 sts. Join. (72 sts) (approx 6″ wide)
10. Work this round in the third loop, the loops behind the two loops at the top of the hdc st. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join with first st. (72 sts)
Sides: (begin Tartan Color work)
11. – 12. With Red, Ch 2 (counts as first st). Dc in next 3 sts. Switch to Pomegranate. Dc in next 2 sts. *Switch to Red. Dc in next 4 sts. Switch to Pomegranate. Dc in next 2 sts* work all around the basket. Join with the beginning chain. (72 sts)
13. With Pomegranate, Ch 2 (counts as first st). Dc in next 3 sts. Switch to Black. Dc in next 2 sts. *Switch to Pomegranate. Dc in next 4 sts. Switch to Black. Dc in next 2 sts* repeat all around the basket. Join with the beginning chain. (72 sts)
14. – 18. Repeat rows 10-12 respectively. (72 sts)
19. With Pomegranate, ch 2 (counts as first st). Dc in next st. Ch 1. Sk next st. *Dc in next 2 sts. Ch 1. Sk next st* work all around the basket. Join with the beginning chain. (72 sts)
20. – 22. Repeat rows 12 and 10-11 respectively. (72 sts)
23. With black, ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join with first ch. (72 sts)
Next, weave your burlap ribbon in and out through the holes made in row 19.
Place your pot inside and cinch the ribbon around the top. The basket should be large enough to accommodate lager pots, and you can also work extra rows for a taller pot.
I highly recommend poinsettias but I think I will try an evergreen with my Plaid Crochet Plant Basket too.
The holiday are coming :)
I like this basket but I think you need to check rows 14-18 as you say to repeat rows 10-12 and I think you mean repeat rows 11-13. Also maybe check rows 20-22. I made this and just followed the picture and it turned out nicely.
Hi Beth, I just finished the basket. I love it. This was my first time trying plaid and found it to be not as difficult as I thought it would be. I’m going to make another, but in a smaller size. Thanks!!
Yay! You are welcome!
Super cute! You create such adorable things and you’re so quick! Thanks very much!
Very cute basket. Love it! Your heading says “Heat Transfer Vinyl on crochet? YES!!” I don’t see anything about it in your email? Am I just missing it? 🙂
I sent the email out with the wrong heading!! I am sorry about that :|
I really like your plant basket pattern. It is such a cute pattern. What a perfect gift. Lots of fun!!!