I think we can collectively agree that crochet is awesome. It’s therapeutic, it’s useful, it’s fun, it passes the time…need I go on? Today is National Knit or Crochet in Public Day, which is an awesome holiday in my opinion (although I’m sure you don’t need a holiday to crochet in public, ammi right?). This cute Crochet in Public Bag is something that I thought up some time ago, but today is a fitting day to finally write and publish the pattern. This bag is perfect for a quick project on the run, especially if you are somewhere where you can’t sit or hold your yarn in your lap. Take your crochet literally everywhere.
This is also terribly useful for when your baby is just getting mobile (why are unfinished crochet projects SO interesting to those chubby little mayhem-creators?)
CROCHET IN PUBLIC BAG – FREE CROCHET PATTERN
1. Ch 2. Dc 12 into ring. Join with a sl st with first dc. (12 sts)
2. Ch 2. 2 dc in each st around. Join with a sl st. (24 sts)
3. Ch 2. *Dc. 2 dc in next st* work all around. Join with a sl st. (36 sts)
4. Ch 2. *Dc 2. 2 dc in next st* work all around. Join with sl st. (48 sts)
5. Ch 2. *Dc 3. 2 dc in next st* work all around. Join with sl st. (60 sts)
6. Ch 2. *Dc 4. 2 dc in next st* work all around. Join with sl st. (72 sts)
7. Ch 2. *Dc 5. 2 dc in next st* work all around. Join with sl st. (84 sts)
8. Ch 3. Dc in same st (counts as first v-stitch). *Skip 2 sts. Dc, ch 1, dc all in next st* work 27 times. Sk last 2 stitches. Join in the space between the first 3-ch and dc. (28 V-Stitches)
9. – 18. Ch 3. Dc in same st (count as first v-stitch). *Dc, ch 1, dc all in the ch 1 space from previous round.* work 27 times. Join in 3-ch space with a sl st. (28 v-stitches)
19. Ch 2. Dc in each st around. Join with a sl st. (83 sts)
20. You can continue on, or break yarn and start when the next color starts on the cake.
Ch 2. Dc 8. Ch 26. Skip 26 stitches. Dc 16. Ch 26. Sk 26 sts. Dc 7. Join with first a sl st. (83 sts)
21. Ch 1. Sc 8. Dc 26. Sc 16. Dc 26. Sc 7. Join with sl st. (83 sts)
22. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join with a sl st. (83 sts)
Tie off. Weave in ends.
As I am writing this, I am thinking about the places I have taken my crochet projects, and I can’t recall a strange place; mostly just the usual places: airport, doctor’s office, my car. But I want to ask YOU, where is the weirdest public place you have brought your crochet?
Be sure to share your beautiful version in our Facebook group:
Join our Facebook Community! We need YOU!
Want a FREE ebook, Tip Tuesday tips and Free Pattern Friday? Subscribe!
(it’s totally FREE!)
You may also like these FREE patterns: