I have been meaning to rework my Crochet Baby Moccasins for a while now. In fact, this is the second time I have reworked them (the original post is here). I just couldn’t get it right. They fall flat on Facebook and Pinterest and I knew they needed some sort of fix. I inquired about how to make them better in my Facebook group (and in my newsletter) and I got a lot of really great suggestions. If you gave me some ideas, thank you very much! Sometimes it’s hard to see the forest through the trees. Quite frankly, these Oka Crochet Moccasins turned out compelely different than the original, but hopefully they will be something that you will swoon over ;)
Aren’t those little tassels just adorable? Using embroidery floss was a stroke of genius that hit me last night while I was falling asleep. They turned out perfect, and really gives these crochet moccasins a classic look.
Also, I updated my basic baby shoe soles for the last time ( hopefully!). I’ve made a few tweaks over the years but I think this last fix has finally perfecting the design to my liking. It fixes the weird bump on the bottom of the heel and it also puts the seam directly up the back of the shoe instead of on the side. I won’t be updated the older posts (at least not in the immediate future) but any new baby shoe designs from here on out will have this new sole design.
I also updated the sizing. Newborn was a highly requested size, and there wasn’t a huge difference between the middle sizes, so you will see the new sizing in the crochet moccasin pattern below .
OKA CROCHET MOCCASINS – FREE CROCHET PATTERN FOR BABY
Please remember: You are free to use this crochet baby moccasins pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
PLEASE read my Disclaimer before working my free patterns!
What you need: (affiliate links)
– F Hook
– Medium Weight Yarn in two colors (Caron Simply Soft)
– Darning Needle
– Embroidery Floss(optional)
Gauge: (the sole is the gauge, so use the sole length as your guide. Go up or down a hook size to achieve the proper size.
3-6 months (3.75″)
Baby Moccasin Body:
1. Work 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Sc in next 4 chs. Hdc in next ch. Dc in next 3 chs. Work 7 dc in last ch. Working across the opposite side of the chain: Dc in next 3 chains. Hdc in next ch. Sc in next 4 chs. 2 sc in last ch, same space as the first 2 sc. Join with a sl st. (27 sts)
2. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in next 2 sts. Sc in next 9 sts. Work 2 sc in next 5 sts. Sc in next 9 sts. Work 2 sc in last 2 sts. (36 sts)
3. Ch 1. *Sc in next st, work 2 sc in next st* work 2 times. Sc in next 9 sts. *Sc in next st, 2 sc in next st* work 5 times. Sc in next 9 sts. *Sc in next st, work 2 sc in next st* work 2 times. Join with a sl st. (45 sts)
Join 2nd color
4. In BLO, Ch 1. Sc in each st around. (45 sts)
5. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join with a sl st. (45 sts)
6. Sc 16. Sc2tog. Sc in next 9 sts. Sc2tog. Sc in next 16 sts. Join with a sl st. (43 sts) Tie off.
Starting in 33st st of round 6, join 2nd color.
7. – 8. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc 21. Turn. (22 st)
9. Ch 1. Sc2tog. Sc in next 18 sts. Sc2tog. Turn. (20 sts)
10. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc in next 19 sts. Turn (20 sts)
11. Ch 1. Sc2tog. Sc in next 16 sts. Sc2tog. Turn. (18 st)
Join 1st color
12. – 13. Ch 1. Sc in each st aross. (18 st)
Leave a long tail.
Moccasin Toe flap:
1.Work 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook. 2 sc in last st. Turn(4 sts)
2.Ch 1. 2 sc in same st. Sc 2. 2 sc in last st. Turn.(6 sts) 3. -15. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc 5. Turn.(6 sts)
Join 2nd color.
16. – 21. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc 5. Turn.(6 sts)
22. Join 1st color.
Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc 5. Turn. (6 sts)
(this next step will work a border around the flap. Turn your piece 90 degrees clockwise. Work 2 more sts in the last st, making 3 total and forming a corner. Work a neat row of sc down the side of the flap. Work 2 sc at the right side of the curved top of the flap. Sc 2. 2 sc in the other side of the curved top. Sc up the other side of the flap. Sl st with the first st of row 21.
Crochet Moccasin Construction:
To add the flap to the baby moccasin, pin the round top of the flap to the round toe of the shoe. Thread a length of the yarn on your darning needle and sew the flap in place, using a running stitch (The top colored part of the flap will fold down).
Finish by weaving a length of yarn loosely in and out around the top, and tying in a bow on the outside side.
You can tie the yarn in front, but the tassel really give these crochet moccasins the perfect finishing touch, don’t you think?
Join our Facebook Community! We need YOU!
Want a FREE ebook, crochet tips and monthly Free Pattern Fridays? Subscribe!
(it’s totally FREE!)