This filet crochet bag blog post is graciously brought to you by Red Heart. Thanks to Red Heart for their support and thank YOU for supporting Whistle and Ivy! Any link shares for this snarky crochet tote via social media or email would be GREATLY appreciated and helps bring more free patterns to Whistle and Ivy.
I don’t knit. I have attempted to learn knitting a couple of times, but I don’t consider myself a knitter by any stretch of the imagination. I think (correct me if I’m wrong) that knitting is the most well-known fiber art. Have you noticed? When I take my crochet projects out, people inquire about my “knitting.” Although I do not get offended by the question, I do take the opportunity to educate the inquirer. Of course I have a spark of snark, I had to add words to this filet crochet bag. This crochet bag will be something most crocheters can appreciate. This snarky crochet tote features the words “It’s not knit” because, well, it isn’t, and you will surely get asked if you knit your bag yourself ;)
Red Heart Scrubby Smoothie
This bag is made with my new favorite 100% cotton, Red Heart Scrubby Smoothie! At the beginning of the year, I attended a very large craft trade show, and it was so fun to see all the new craft tools and products, but the Read Heart booth blew my mind! It wasn’t just the beautiful projects and ideas, but the walls of lovely yarns and exciting NEW yarns. There are still a few lines coming out in the fall (I will absolutely be writing more on those in a few months), but I was very excited to try out Scrubby Smoothie. The creamy colors are so dreamy and the texture of this 100% cotton yarn is as smooth as the name denotes. I normally shy away from 100% cottons, I find my fingers get a bit raw working with it, but not so with Scrubby Smoothie. Isn’t this aqua color just divine? This beachy color is one of my absolute favorite colors (I even have an accent wall in my bedroom in this color!).
Make sure to give Red Heart a BIG THANK YOU for bringing this post to you and sponsoring the FREE PDF download.
Have you tried the filet crochet technique? I actually attempted this exact bag last summer using Red Heart Stripes, but quickly realized that variegated yarn is not the right yarn for this technique. Traditionally, this technique is done with finer yarn, but I like to go against the norm.
It can be weird at first to wrap your mind around how to work the graph. Essentially, you are working “empty” and “full” boxes. The colored boxes on the graph represent the “filled” in boxes.
Totally confused? I don’t blame you, which is why I made a video! Watch it:
SNARKY CROCHET TOTE – FILET CROCHET BAG – FREE PATTERN
Please remember: You are free to use this snarky crochet tote pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
PLEASE read my Disclaimer before working my free patterns!
Gauge: 9 sc = 2″ (Gauge Pattern)
1. 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Sc 70. 4 sc in last ch. Working across opposite side, sc 70, 2 sc in last ch (same as first 2 sc). Join with a sl st. (148 sts)
2. Ch 1. 2 sc in next 2 sts. Sc 70. 2 sc in next 4 sts. Sc 70. 2 sc in next 2 sts. Join with a sl st. (156 sts)
3. Ch 1. *Sc in next st. 2 sc in next st* work twice. Sc 70. *Sc in next st. 2 sc in next st* work 4 times. Sc 70. *Sc in next st. 2 sc in next st* work twice. Join with sl st. (164 sts)
4. – 13. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join with a sl st.
14. – 38. Work the graph using the filet crochet technique. Please watch the video if you need help.
39. – 42. Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Join with a sl st. (164 sts)
43. (Handles) Ch 1. Sc in next 27 sts. Ch 60. Sk 28 sts. Sc in next 54 sts. Ch 60. Sk 28 sts. Sc 27. Join with a sl st. (228 sts)
44. – 48. Sc in each st around. Join with a sl st. (228 sts)
Now pack pack up your new filet crochet tote with a towel, sunscreen, your favorite book (or current WIP) and head to a relaxing spot!
Join our Facebook Community! We need YOU!
Love this filet crochet bag? Subscribe!
(and get a free gift!)