I found myself yarn shopping a few months ago. My color choices can sometimes be a bit drab. What can I say? Gray will always have my heart. But something made me decide to order a very bright, very hot pink yarn. I bought it in a few weights and fibers (you can see it in this Chunky V-Stitch Cowl), and I have decided it’s going to be my winter color theme! It’s such a bright, gorgeous pop to the drab winter months of the year. And I love the contrast between my lovely and humble gray, and the hot, bright pink. Isn’t this hat gorgeous? I call it the Autumn Frost Slouchy Hat.
(Heaven help me, coming up with names is not someting I excel at.)
AUTUMN FROST SLOUCHY HAT
Please remember: You are free to use this pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
Gauge: 7 sts = 2″
1. Hdc in 2nd ch from st. Hdc 5. Turn. (6 sts)
2. – 41. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 4 in BLO. Hdc in last st, going through both loops. Turn.(6 sts)
Don’t break yarn.
Take your ribbed strip and fold in half. Using the loop where you left off, sl st down the short side, making a band. Turn band right-side out, so the seam is on the inside, and the last loop from your sl st row is on the top.
1. Ch 1. Sc around the band, achieving 72 total stitches. Join with a sl st with the first st.
2. Ch 1. Dc, sc in same st. *Sk 1 st. Dc, sc in next st.* repeat all around the hat. Join with a sl st. (72 sts)
3. Ch 1. Sc, dc in same st. *Sk 1 st. Sc, dc in next st.* repeat all around the hat. Join with a sl st. (72 sts)
4. – 25. Alternate rows 2 and 3 respectively until your reach 25 total rows.
Break yarn, tie off.
Turn the hat inside-out. Using your darning needle and a length of yarn, sew a loose running stitch around the top rounds.
Cinch it tight, closing the top of the hat. Tie the two ends together in a strong knot. Clip ends.
Turn hat right side out. Make and attach a pom-pom using THIS tutorial.
Maybe I am just a winter grump!
Are you excited about the changing season?
Like this free slouchy hat crochet pattern? Subscribe!
(and get a free gift!)
Join our Facebook Community! We need YOU!
You might also like these FREE crochet pattern: