This post contains affiliate links. For more info, click here.
I have been pretty excited to share this pattern with you today. I have been LOVING chunky projects lately. They work up so fast, and the texture is so lovely. I might go back and re-release all my slipper patterns as chunky. I almost can’t bear to make them, they take me so long. I experimented a bit with my women’s boat slippers, the chunky texture is so fun, and the big yarn cuts the crochet time in half or more. This beautiful chunky crochet granny hat takes literally 30 minutes (or less) to make. It would be a perfect craft fair project, as you could make so many of them so quickly. It fits with a bit of slouch, but you can always add more rows to make it more slouchy, or add a pom-pom for a different look.
The yarn I used is a new super chunky weight yarn by Knit Picks. They sent me a couple skeins so I could try it out, and I really love it! Tuff Puff is 100% wool, so this hat will be so warm, and I love the fuzzy texture. Bear in mind, because it is 100% wool, it’s not ideal to make a scarf with, it’s a bit itchy for sensitive skin. But it’s perfect for hats or gloves, and I always going to keep Tuff Puff in my stash. Quick projects are my favorite!
Please remember: You are free to use this pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please DO share the link to this page! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
What you need:
Finished hat as an approximate circumference of 20″.
Gauge: 8 sc = 5″
Begin with a magic circle. For first 3 round, ch 2 DOES NOT COUNT as first st.
1. Ch 2. Hdc 8 in the ring, pull it tight.
2. Ch 2. Dc 2 in same st. Work 2 dc in each st around. (16 sts) Join with sl st.
3. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Work 2 dc in next st. *Dc in next st, work 2 dc in next st.* work 7 times. (24 sts) Join with sl st.
4. Ch 2 (counts as first st). Dc in same st. *Ch 1, sk next st, 2 dc in next st.* work 11 times (23 DCs) (Join with sl st)
5. Join Conch in first ch space after last row join. Ch 2 (does not count) 2 dc in ch sp. *Ch 1, 2 dc in next ch sp* work 11 times. Join with beginning st. (24 DCs)
Bring up gray.
6. – 10. Repeat row 5, alternating colors each row, making sure to work in the 1-ch spaces from the previous row.
Tie of and weave in ends.
I hope you enjoy this chunky crochet granny hat pattern!
LEVEL-UP YOUR CROCHET -
5 Techniques you will use all the time
A few tips and tricks can go a long way in simplifying your craft.
Let me help!