This is a sponsored post on behalf of Jo-ann Fabric and Craft Stores.
In celebration of Waverly’s 90th anniversary AND September as National Sewing Month, I was given an ah-mazing opportunity to work with some Waverly fabric from Jo-Ann. This stuff is so cute! I love the vintage look it has, and it’s thick and sturdy, so it works for a variety of projects. Right when I saw it, I knew what I was going to make: a new camera bag!
I have held on to my crib bumpers for a while, but I didn’t know what to do with them. I couldn’t bring myself to throw them away. And I am glad I didn’t because they worked out perfectly for this project. As I have mentioned before, I am not an amazing sewer. This bag is so easy, I feel like anyone can do it. I didn’t use a pattern, but I made a diagram of what my my cut fabric looked like.
|uh, not to scale!|
Once you have your piece cut, fold right sides together and begin sew the sides together, like you have two bags, connected by one side. Since the diagram looks like a flattened box, take the side pieces and fold them up and create the box shape. Your “two bags” should look like this:
Also, leave your corners unsewn until you get all the sides sewn. I think there is an easier way to do corners, I am just not sure how to do it.
Once you have that sewn, sew the top flap sides, and across the top corners. Be careful to leave a big gap at the very top of the flap.
Once this is finished, turn your entire piece inside-out, and tuck one bag into the other. You now have a lined bag!
Make sure to sew up the unsewn edge of the flap.
I sewed all around the top to give it a finished look. I also made a strip of fabric for the handle, but you could buy a piece of belting for a stronger strap.
From here, I got my crib bumpers out and ready to go.
Oops! I made my bag too small to fit them the way they were. I had to cut them down bit.
|Clearly not concerned|
To get my bumpers to bend easier, I sewed a straight light across it. It kind of cuts through the batting inside, and makes it more manageable. The left edge and middle are separate pieces that I ended up hot glueing in place. I couldn’t figure out a good way to sew it, but the glue has held quite well, and was very easy. Then, I just bought some chunky buttons and sewed two button holes. You could use Velcro or attach ties instead.
I hope it keeps my camera safe! I am known to be a bit irresponsible with my expensive things..