This darling crochet plaid baby cocoon and hat set is perfect for a winter and fall baby or a rustic woodland themed nursery or baby shower! Perfect for keeping baby cozy, warm and comfortable. The post is proudly sponsored by Lion Brand.
Welcome to Plaid Week 2017! I have been working like crazy to get these patterns designed and polished for you, so I hope you have tons of fun this week. This free crochet pattern was made possible by Lion Brand Yarn, so if you can, quickly jump over and give them a shout out on Facebook or Twitter to let them know you appreciate them! We are kicking of Plaid Week with this adorable Crochet Plaid Baby Cocoon Set. Isn’t it so sweet? Now I just need a newborn to model it for me ;)
I chose Lion Brand Wool-Ease for this project. I am already in love with the Wool-Ease color palette; the heather colors are so pretty, especially Mushroom and Rose Heather. Black, Cranberry and Ranch Red are perfect colors for classic Buffalo Plaid so I chose to use them to make my Plaid Baby Cocoon and Hat Set.
If you are wanting different yarn ideas, Lion brand has several other choices that work perfect for the classic buffalo plaid pattern:
Vanna’s Choice in Burgundy, Red and Black.
Heartland in Redwood, Badlands, and Black Canyon.
New Basics 175 in Brick, Tomato, and Black.
Or 24/7 Cotton in Red, Magenta and Black.
Feeling intimidated by crochet plaid? You can do it! I made a course just for you! Learn plaid from start to finish, PLUS both my Plaid Collection ebooks are included in the course! Enroll here.
NEWBORN PLAID BABY COCOON AND HAT SET
Please remember: You are free to use this pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
PLEASE read my Disclaimer before working my free patterns!
What you need: (affiliate links)
– H hook
– Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Black, Cranberry, and Ranch Red (1 ball each)
– Darning Needle
Abbreviations: US Terms
Ch – chain
Sc – single crochet
Hdc – half double crochet
Dc – Double Crochet
Dc2tog – Dc decrease
Sc2tog – Sc decrease
Fpdc – front post dc
Bpdc – back post dc
Sl st – Slip Stitch
St – stitch
Gauge: 16 dc sts = 4″
Plaid Baby Cocoon: (Size 0-3 months)
Measures approx. 21″ long with a 20″ circumference
Start with Black. Ch 2 does not count as a stitch.
1. Ch 2. Dc 12 into the ring. Join with a sl st. (12 sts)
2. Ch 2. Dc in first dc. Fpdc around same st. *Dc in next st. Fpdc around same st.* work 11 times. Join with a sl st. (24 sts)
3. Ch 2. Dc 2. Fpdc around same st. *Dc in next 2 sts. Fpdc around same st* work 11 times. Join with a sl st. (36 sts)
4. Ch 2. Dc 3. Fpdc around same st. *Dc in next 3 sts. Fpdc around same st.* work 11 times. Join with a sl st. (48 sts)
5. Ch 2. Dc 4. Fpdc around same st. *Dc in next 4 sts. Fpdc around same st.* work 11 times. Join with a sl st. (60 sts)
6. Ch 2. Dc 5. Fpdc around same st. *Dc in next 5 sts. Fpdc around same st. * work 11 times. Join with a sl st. (72 sts)
7. Ch 2. Dc 6. Fpdc around same st. *Dc in next 6 sts. Fpdc around same st. * work 10 times. Dc 6. Join with a sl st. (83 sts)
8. With black, Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc in next st. (counts as first plaid stitch block) Work the Plaid Stitch all around, alternating between Black and Cranberry. Join with first st. (83 sts)
9. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc in next st. Work the Plaid Stitch all around, alternating between Cranberry and Ranch Red. Join with first st. (83 sts)
10. – 42. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc in next st. Work the Plaid Stitch all around. Join with a sl st. (83 sts)
You’re piece should measure approx. 19.5″ from the round bottom to the top.
Break Ranch Red and Cranberry.
43. Using black, Ch 2. Dc in each st around. Join with a sl st. (83 sts)
44. – 46. Ch 1. Work this row by alternating fpdc and bpdc, starting with a fpdc. Join with a sl st. (84 sts)
Break yarn, tie off.
Plaid Baby Hat: (Size 0-3 Months)
Repeat step 2 until your band reached about 11.5″ stretched measurement. Very gently stretch the band to get the measurement. Don’t stretch too hard. Fold the piece in half and sl st it into a band. Flip the band so the seam is on the inside on the loop is at the top. Continue from here to make the hat body.
6. (You will now begin decreases. The plaid color changes should still be consistent).
Ch 2. Dc2tog. Switch colors. *Dc2tog. Dc in next st (switch color)* work all around the hat. Join with a sl st. (31 sts)
Break Ranch Red and Cranberry
7. With Black:
Ch 2. Dc2tog 15. Dc in last st. Join with sl st. (16 sts).
8. Ch 1. Sc2tog 8 times. (8 sts) Join with sl st.
Break yarn, leaving a long tail.
Use long tail and darning needle to sew up remaining hole.
Isn’t it adorable? If you have a fall baby coming (or a baby who’s here already!), this Crochet Plaid Cocoon Set would be perfect.A again, I want to send a huge THANK YOU to Lion Brand Yarns for sponsoring this post and helping to make Plaid Week a success! Get the other Plaid Week 2017 Patterns:
Join our Facebook Community! We need YOU!
Like this Crochet Plaid Baby Cocoon Set? Subscribe!
(and get a free gift!)