Button Eskimo Baby Hat

Does it feel like Autumn yet? In Vegas, not quite yet. But that doesn’t prevent me from getting ready for it! And since my toddler is no longer a baby, hopefully others will find this pattern more useful than I do at this moment :)

This Button Eskimo Baby Hat will keep your little one warm all autumn and winter long. You can switch up the colors to make it for a boy or a girl.

Button Eskimo Baby Hat - This cozy hat is a cute and fun baby accessory for winter! {Free pattern by Whistle and ivy}

Baby Button Eskimo Hat - This cozy hat is a cute and fun baby accessory for winter! {Free pattern by Whistle and ivy}

Can you tell that I love buttons? (Pretty much every pattern I write uses buttons.)

I made a hat with crocheted buttons and I love how they look. I have included the small crochet buttons in the pattern as well.

You can find the pattern here:  Button Eskimo Baby Hat

If you like my pattern, follow me on instagram to stay in the loop! Plus, get new patterns and post updates when you subscribe to my weekly emails.

You might also like this Faux Ribbon Baby Hat – so cute for a little girl!

Faux Ribbon Baby Hat - Free Crochet Pattern by Whistle & Ivy

***You are welcome to use this pattern to make items in your crochet shop, however you MUST link back to this blog post in your listing. And DO NOT redistribute this pattern. If you wish to share, share the link to this page. Redistribution is theft, so please, be kind and link back.  And DO NOT use my photos to sell your items. Thanks for your cooperation!***

Happy crocheting!

Comments

1. Tricia says

The pattern mentions g hook or what ever size to obtain gauge, however I’m not seeing a gauge. I’m working the 6-12 mo. Size. How many stitches per inch do we need – or what are the measurements?

• says

Hello,
      My gauge is rather unorthodox .Your circle should have a diameter of 3″ after round 4 (see step 4).

2. Cassandra B. says

I a m trying to make this hat for the second time. the first time the first 7 steps turned out looking like a yarn flower because each additional round was curling, and I followed every step to the T. Anyhow on one of the steps it says “Hdc in same st. Hdc 2. Hdc 2 in next st.” where does the “Hdc 2″ go, it doesn’t say same stitch or next stitch. The first time I assumed it was the next stitch.

• says

It sounds like you are working too many stitches. Hdc 2 means you work 2 hdc, each in their own stitch.

3. Amanda says

I am trying to do your Eskimo hat for babies and for so me reason I can’t see rounds 3 to 7. It is in your logo. Help please?

• says

Make sure you open it in the latest version of Adobe Reader. The watermark is light gray.

4. Hilde Myrhaug says

Hi, thank you for sharing so many great patterns! How do you make the tassel on this baby eskimo hat?

5. says

Would you please explain row 5 on the 0-3 mos. Eskimo toddler hat? I’m confuse with the 3hdc. Do you put 3 Hdc in one st and 2 Hdc in the next st.
    Thanks

• says

Hi Louann,

No, you will work 3 hdc each in their own stitch, and then hdc 2 on the next st.

6. Kayla Lafernier says

Hi! I love the hat! I am trying to make one right now, but I’m confused on the pattern. When is says “hdc 1, hdc 2 in the next stitch” does that mean 3 hdc in the same stitch? Or when it says “hdc 2, hdc 2 in the next stitch” does that mean 4 in the same stitch or two in each stitch? Thanks!

• says

Thanks! No, it means you work one hdc alone, and then 2 in the next st. The next round would be 2 hdc, each in their own stitch, following by 2 hdc worked in the same st. This is called an increase.

7. says

How many skeins of yarn do I need to make a 3-6mos hat? Also how do I make the adorable pompom?

8. liz says

Hi,
    Adorable hat! The 6-12 mos. seems to work up fine but I am having issues with the stitch counts on the other 2 available sizes. 0-3 mos. increases to 48 but then only 46 are mentioned to be used on the front flap and back piece and the 3-6 mos increases to 52 but then only 44 are mentioned to be used on the front flap and back piece. Can you assist me in what I might be doing incorrect?

• says

Thanks Liz! It looks like I had an outdated, older version on here, I am terribly sorry! The correct one is now available.

9. ellen says

I’d like to make the baby eskimo hat but don’t know how it starts. don’t you need to chain before doing a HDC ? to make the ring?

• says

I start with a magic ring, it eliminates that hole at the top, but you are welcome to just start with a 3-ch loop if you prefer.

10. Arena says

Hi! Love these hats!!! Wondering what size you would use to make one for a 12 month old??

• Bethany says

Thank you! The size 6-12 month should work (their heads don’t grow as fast as their feet) but if you are worried, you can go up a hook size.

• Arena says

Thanks Bethany for the quick response!! :)

11. Claudia M. says

Just subscribed to your page. Will be making some of these starting today. My niece is going to be born very soon!! Going to surprise my sister with booties! Thanks for sharing!!

• Bethany says

Thanks for subscribing!! You are welcome :) :)

12. says

Hi. I really want to make some of these, but you didn’t put the gauge in your pattern. You should tell us how many of the (design) stitches make how many inches. For example, say for the 0-3 months size, you say 20 stitches and 20 rows will = 2″ wide and 2″ high. So many online pattern designers leave this important step out. I don’t know how big a hat for a newborn should be, that why a gauge is necessary. Thanks.

• says

I don’t have the gauge you are specifically asking for, but I added how many inches wide your circle should be after the steps. Did you try measuring the diameter of your circle to see if it matches my measurements ?

13. says

Hi I am a beginner and woul like to know what ya4n brand did u used ti do these? Thank u!

14. says

I could not find anything after opening the pdf file. it is just a blank page. wonder what is going on???

• says

Hm. It’s just a PDF uploaded to Google Drive. Can you normally view documents there? If you can’t get it to work, email me and I will send it to you.

15. says

Yup, pretty much. I think a real eskimo hat was cut out of animal skins, and so it was easier to cut a round shape and then just fold up the front, then to cut an irregular hat shape with ear flaps. That is just my own personal speculation, though!

16. says

I’m not familiar with “Eskimo Hats”. What is the purpose of the button flap? Is it just decorative?

17. says

These little Eskimos-hats are sooooooooooo adorable!!

18. says

These are so adorable – and yes, you definitely need to start selling your work, girl. If not on Etsy, then you should start a page on your blog with your goods! (Or Xmas is coming up, what about any craft shows/fairs in your area? You’d do so well!)

19. says

how cute! I wonder if I could get away with upscaling this and wearing it myself? ;0)

20. says

So cute! Thank you for sharing.
    Following your blog now.xx

21. says

Hi, the hats that you made are adorable and you did a good job. I saw it on homemade ginger.
    Julie from julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

• says

Perfect! I have a niece coming in November, so I will be making one for her :)

• says

Thank you! I need to, I just don’t know how :( Etsy is so saturated, and I am clueless about online sales. Maybe I will figure it out someday, lol!

Trackbacks

1. […] My sister is expecting a new baby into her family. He is a baby boy. She is busy with searching for new baby hats, booties patterns for her new comer. I thought I should too find some cute patterns to crochet. Here is what I found. This cute little Baby Button Eskimo Hat is shared by Whistle and Ivy and you can find the free pattern from HERE. […]