Button Eskimo Baby Hat

This post contains affiliate (commission) links. For more info, click here.

Does it feel like Autumn yet? In Vegas, not quite yet. But that doesn’t prevent me from getting ready for it! And since my toddler is no longer a baby, hopefully others will find this pattern more useful than I do at this moment :)

This Button Eskimo Baby Hat will keep your little one warm all autumn and winter long. You can switch up the colors to make it for a boy or a girl.

Button Eskimo Baby Hat - This cozy hat is a cute and fun baby accessory for winter! {Free pattern by Whistle and ivy}

Can you tell that I love buttons? (Pretty much every pattern I write uses buttons.)

I made a hat with crocheted buttons and I love how they look. I have included the small crochet buttons in the pattern as well.

Baby Button Eskimo Hat - This cozy hat is a cute and fun baby accessory for winter! {Free pattern by Whistle and ivy}

***You are welcome to use this pattern to make items in your crochet shop, however you MUST link back to this blog post in your listing. And DO NOT redistribute this pattern. If you wish to share, share the link to this page. Redistribution is theft, so please, be kind and link back.  And DO NOT use my photos to sell your items. Thanks for your cooperation!***

What you need:

You can find the pattern here:  Button Eskimo Baby Hat

Add a pom-pom on top by using this tutorial.

If you like my pattern, follow me on instagram to stay in the loop!
Don’t miss a pattern or projects, subscribe here.

You might also like this Faux Ribbon Baby Hat – so cute for a little girl!

Happy crocheting!

1. Melissa says

I would love to make this hat! When I open patter your sign is over pattern throughout. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

2. says

Hello Bethany,
    i love this pattern and made it for two time yet.
    Really, you did great work with this pattern!

I am from Germany, so I want to ask, if it would be ok, that I translate the 3-6 months pattern with a link to your website and your original pattern?
    I want to ask you before sharing it. And a lot of people can´t read english patterns, so it would help a lot of people.

Please let me know, if it´s okay or not!

Greetings from
    Sani Hachidori

• says

Hi Sani,

Thanks for asking! Please don’t translate and republishing my patterns. If you are interested, though, you can translated it, and guest post it on my blog and link to your own blog. Anything else will violates the copyright. Let me know if you are interested!

3. Rodriguez says

Hello, thank you so much for making these Button Eskimo Baby Hats available to us! I love them, and am attempting to make one for my newborn! I was very excited as this looks like it should be an easy pattern, but I seem to be getting stuck very early. #4 calls for 32 st once we finish that row, yet I’m finishing with much more. I chain 1, hdc in same st. Hdc in the next st. Then I make 2 HDCs in the next st. Then your instructions include (Hdc 2,hdc 2 in next st) all around the hat. So my understanding is that I do what’s in the parentheses which easily means doing 2 hdc’s all around until the ch 1 correct? Why in the parentheses do you say (hdc 2, hdc 2 in the next st)? Isn’t that saying to make 2 hdc in the next ch, then make 2 hdc in the next chapter again, or am I misunderstanding and supposed to be doing something different? And am I even supposed to be repeating what’s in the parentheses, or what are they used for and what exactly am I supposed to be doing for the rest of that row, to get to 32st. If I do repeat what’s in the parentheses, when I get to 3 hdc in one st, or 4 hdc in one stitch and 2 hdc in the following st, it’s not working out too well for me. It starts making a ruffle and also getting tighter and tighter, making it very difficult to put 3 (or 4) hdc in 1 st, the follow with 2 hdc in the next stitch and keep repeating the two.

I apologize that this is so long and I hope my questions make sense. I am really excited for this project as these hats are adorable, but I’m just so confused right now…

• says

Thanks! I am sorry you are having trouble1 For step 4 you SHOULD be repeating the parenthesis, but you are misunderstanding the instructions. You will work 2 hdc separately, followed by an increase (2 hdc worked in the same st). So a total of 4 stitches will be worked, the first 2 are worked regularly, each in their own st, followed by 2 worked in the same st. You will repeat this all around the hat. Does that make sense?

• Rodriguez says

That makes much more sense! Thank you for explaining. I just finished adifferent project and I think I got a little mixed upwith how the other directions explained to do things, so I just need to learn how to adjust to how different people write their directions. Now that you cleared up what I was confused at, I think it will make a huge difference. I’m extremely grateful though for not only your response, but for your quick response!! I’m really excited to get back to working on the hat!

• says

Hi Sadie,
      I don’t have specific instructions for you, since I have never made this hat in that size, but you want the hat to be about 19″, so work another row or two of increases at the beginning, working 1 extra hdc in between (does the make sense?) so you would work 5 hdc, then an increase, and for the next round you would work 6 hdc, then the increase.

4. Anna says

This hat pattern is very cute! Do you by chance have an approximate measure of what the final hat should measure for each of the sizes? I am making these for some christmas gifts and would really like to make sure I am getting the right size.

5. Teri says

Hey Bethany! Love the hats they are so cute!! Was just wondering, how do you do the ear flaps like the grey and green picture?

6. Tricia says

The pattern mentions g hook or what ever size to obtain gauge, however I’m not seeing a gauge. I’m working the 6-12 mo. Size. How many stitches per inch do we need – or what are the measurements?

7. Cassandra B. says

I a m trying to make this hat for the second time. the first time the first 7 steps turned out looking like a yarn flower because each additional round was curling, and I followed every step to the T. Anyhow on one of the steps it says “Hdc in same st. Hdc 2. Hdc 2 in next st.” where does the “Hdc 2″ go, it doesn’t say same stitch or next stitch. The first time I assumed it was the next stitch.

8. Amanda says

I am trying to do your Eskimo hat for babies and for so me reason I can’t see rounds 3 to 7. It is in your logo. Help please?

9. Hilde Myrhaug says

Hi, thank you for sharing so many great patterns! How do you make the tassel on this baby eskimo hat?

10. says

Would you please explain row 5 on the 0-3 mos. Eskimo toddler hat? I’m confuse with the 3hdc. Do you put 3 Hdc in one st and 2 Hdc in the next st.

11. Kayla Lafernier says

Hi! I love the hat! I am trying to make one right now, but I’m confused on the pattern. When is says “hdc 1, hdc 2 in the next stitch” does that mean 3 hdc in the same stitch? Or when it says “hdc 2, hdc 2 in the next stitch” does that mean 4 in the same stitch or two in each stitch? Thanks!

• says

Thanks! No, it means you work one hdc alone, and then 2 in the next st. The next round would be 2 hdc, each in their own stitch, following by 2 hdc worked in the same st. This is called an increase.

12. liz says

Adorable hat! The 6-12 mos. seems to work up fine but I am having issues with the stitch counts on the other 2 available sizes. 0-3 mos. increases to 48 but then only 46 are mentioned to be used on the front flap and back piece and the 3-6 mos increases to 52 but then only 44 are mentioned to be used on the front flap and back piece. Can you assist me in what I might be doing incorrect?

13. ellen says

I’d like to make the baby eskimo hat but don’t know how it starts. don’t you need to chain before doing a HDC ? to make the ring?

14. Claudia M. says

Just subscribed to your page. Will be making some of these starting today. My niece is going to be born very soon!! Going to surprise my sister with booties! Thanks for sharing!!

15. says

Hi. I really want to make some of these, but you didn’t put the gauge in your pattern. You should tell us how many of the (design) stitches make how many inches. For example, say for the 0-3 months size, you say 20 stitches and 20 rows will = 2″ wide and 2″ high. So many online pattern designers leave this important step out. I don’t know how big a hat for a newborn should be, that why a gauge is necessary. Thanks.

• says

I don’t have the gauge you are specifically asking for, but I added how many inches wide your circle should be after the steps. Did you try measuring the diameter of your circle to see if it matches my measurements ?

• says

Hm. It’s just a PDF uploaded to Google Drive. Can you normally view documents there? If you can’t get it to work, email me and I will send it to you.

16. says

Yup, pretty much. I think a real eskimo hat was cut out of animal skins, and so it was easier to cut a round shape and then just fold up the front, then to cut an irregular hat shape with ear flaps. That is just my own personal speculation, though!

17. says

These are so adorable – and yes, you definitely need to start selling your work, girl. If not on Etsy, then you should start a page on your blog with your goods! (Or Xmas is coming up, what about any craft shows/fairs in your area? You’d do so well!)