Happy December everyone! Though we are still waiting for snow here in Northern Utah, it’s been very chilly! It’s been chilly enough for me to start working on some warm and cozy patterns and projects. Since The Boy is growing like a weed, he needed a new winter hat. I decided to make him this Toddler Trapper Hat, big-boy version of the adorable Baby Button Trapper Hat. It’s just as adorable on him as it is on an infant, so this pattern is definitely a win.
This hat is super warm and is made with two strands of Lion Brand Wool-Ease, so it’s so chunky and cozy! Plus is works up really quick. I might have to resize it again and make one for myself. I would never look as cute as this kid, though!
Please remember: You are free to use this pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
Toddler Button Trapper Hat
What you need:
J/6 mm hook
Lion Brand Wool-Ease (Medium Weight)
Heather Gray and Dark Navy Blue
2 Large Buttons
St – Stitch
Ch – Chain
Sc – Single Crochet
Hdc – Half Double Crochet
Dc – Double Crochet
Dc2tog- Dc Decrease
Sk – Skip
Gauge: See step 6
Use TWO STRANDS of Lion Brand Wool-Ease to make the hat, front flap and back piece.
Hat: (ch 2 does not count)
Start with magic ring
1. Sc 8 into the loop you just made. Join with first sc with a sl st. (8 sts)
2. Ch 2. Hdc 2 in same st. Hdc 2 in the next 7 sts. Join with a sl st. (16 sts)
3. Ch 2. Hdc in same st. Hdc 2. *Hdc 1, Hdc 2 in next st* repeat all around the hat. Join with sl st. (24 sts)
4. Ch 2. Hdc in same st. Hdc . Hdc 2 in the next st. *Hdc 2, Hdc 2 in the next st* repeat all around the hat. Join with sl st. (32 sts)
5. Ch 2. Hdc in same st. Hdc 2. Hdc 2 in next st. *Hdc 3, hdc 2 in the next st* repeat all around the hat. Join with a sl st. (40 sts)
6. Ch 2. Hdc in same st. Hdc 3. Hdc 2 in next st. *Hdc 4, hdc 2 in the next st* repeat all around the hat. Join with sl st. (48 sts) (Your circle should have an approx. 5 ½“ diameter)
7. – 13. Ch 2. Hdc in same st. Hdc in each st around. Join with a sl st.( 48 sts)
Break yarn. Tie off.
Join yarn 15 to right of the join on the back of the hat.
1. Ch 2. Hdc in same st. hdc 29. Turn
2.- 3. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc 9. Hdc 10. Dc 10. Turn.
4.Ch 2. Dc2tog. dc 8. Hdc 10. Dc 8. Dc2tog. Turn.
5.Ch 2. Dc2tog. Dc 7. Hdc 10. Dc 7. Dc2tog. Turn.
6.Ch 2. Dc2tog. Dc 6. Hdc 10. Dc 6. Dc2tog. Tie off
Start with the hat upside down, on the right side. Join your yarn in the first unworked stitch.
1. -4. Ch 2. Hdc in same st. hdc 17. Turn.
5. Ch 2. Hdc in same st. hdc. Ch 3. Sk 3 sts, hdc into next st. hdc 7. Ch 3. Sk 3 sts, hdc into next st. Hdc in last st.
6. Ch 2. Hdc2tog. Hdc 14. Hdc2tog. Tie off.
Construction: Weave in your ends. Sew on two chunky buttons behind the button holes on the front flap, so that is fold up.
Make a pom pom to go on top using a pom-pom maker or THIS tutorial. My tails were 20 strands, 10 strands of both colors, and done in a simple braid. Leave enough yarn at the bottom to tie a knit, and trim the ends even.
And check out the baby version of this hat!
Want more free crochet patterns and craft tutorials? Subscribe to post updates here!
Show me whatcha got! Join the Whistle and Ivy Facebook Group.
Originally posted at One Artsy Mama
More from my site