Baby Boat Booties

This post uses affiliate links. For more info, click HERE

I have actually been sitting on this pattern half written, for a while. I started it before our Mac charging port went nuts, and only recently had access to my half-written pattern so that I could finish it. But it’s done! And I love how they turned out.

BabyBoatBooties2WM2

babyboatshoesWM

These boat shoes are perfect for a baby boy or girl.  I originally wrote the pattern as a boy’s shoe pattern, but the aqua ones are girly and cute, too.

aquaboatshoesWM

mintbooties3WM

For this pattern you will need:
Caron Simply Soft (2 colors)
Size F Hook

***

By using this free pattern, you are agreeing to NOT redistribute this pattern (whether electronically or by printing and handing out copies). This is a form of theft! If you would like to share, please direct others to my page. Pageviews enable me to publish my patterns for free, so please help me to continue to do so.

You are free to sell items you make from this pattern! By using my pattern and selling your items, you are also agreeing that you will give credit by adding a link to the original blog post in each individual listing, or on your tags. And DO NOT use my photos to sell your items!! Thank you!

***

For the pattern, click here: Baby Boat Booties Crochet Pattern

For a full video tutorial, click HERE

Do you like these? You may also like these FREE patterns as well: Toddler Boat Shoes and these little man Monk Shoes.

Happy crocheting!

I love comments :) Thanks so much for taking the time, it means a lot!

Comments

1. Amanda Hall says

I want to make these for my 7 month old but for some reason, I can’t find your pattern for the sole. Can you help me out with that?

2. Rebecca Tiffin says

Thank you so much for the pattern! I taught myself to crochet about 8 weeks ago just so I could make baby items for my sister who is 43 and expecting a boy and a girl later this year. I have tried probably a dozen baby shoe and bootie patterns the last two weeks, some free and some purchased, and have not achieved as good as a result. Your pattern was easy to follow, quick and my results were perfect the first time! Finally I feel like I am not a total failure crocheting baby shoes!

• Bethany says

Oh my goodness, you are so welcome! Thanks for taking the time to leave such a sweet comment, it means so much :) Congratulations to your sister! Happy crocheting to you!!

3. says

I have repeatedly worked the sole for the 9-12 month size, and the last part of step 2 says to sc13, but after 12 I am on top of my stitch marker. I am diligently counting and working the stitches in the pattern, but I am new to the world of crochet and have no idea where I am going wrong with this. Maybe I am not placing the stitch marker correctly? Is there a trick to knowing where to place it?

• Bethany says

Hm. There isn’t really a trick. Did you watch the video tutorial? It is for the 3-6 month, but maybe it will give you an idea of where you might be going wrong. Although, you really should be right on top of it, because you are working in the round. You are coming back to exactly where you started. If you are not there yet, or you worked past it, then you are off.

• says

Thanks for responding – I did watch the video tutorial while I was working on it (by the way, your videos are great help!) I think what I will do is try it again, placing the stitch marker where I did before, and then move it over one, since that’s where I seemed to be off each time. Hopefully it works out! I am really enjoying learning how to read patterns, and these baby booties are teaching me a lot. Thanks!

• says

I gave up and decided to try the 6-9 month size and so far it is working! I have a question about the 9-12 month pattern: In step two, the single crochet instructions are 12 and then 13. In all the other sizes, the single crochet counts are the same (7, 9, and 11). Could this be the source of my problem?

4. rebecca says

I need 2 more stitches to get to the stitch marker. I made the little mary janes with no problems. Not sure what i am doing wrong

5. rebecca says

I am having trouble with the 6-9m size when I get to the toe straps. I’ve been moving my marker up and have the right number of stitches. But after I complete Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc. Dc2tog 3 times. Sc 8. and then complete the strap and sc 13 the straps are not even. one is way back and the other is too close to the front.

6. Karen Calloway says

These are sooo adorable , but I can’t get it right. :( I am trying to make the 0-3. I use the markers but it isn’t turning out right. Step 1 has 25 stitches. Step 2 has 30. Step 3 has 50 the Step 4 says to sc around 38 St’s. How do I go from 50 St’s to 38. I love these shoes and want to make them for my nephew. Thank you so very much for sharing your pattern. I hope this makes sense and you can help me. Thanks again and God Bless.

• Bethany says

Thank you! Hm. Where are you getting your numbers? The first round should only have 22 sts. It sounds like you might not be doing the increases correctly. 2 sc in the 3 sts around the heel and the 5 around the toe, and then for the next round, you will work 1 single in between the doubles for the increase. I have a video for the sole, it might help you. It is the 3-6 month size, but the theory is the same, the length will be different, but the toes and heel will be worked the same.

• Savannah says

On the same size (0-3) my straps aren’t coming out even. Yes I’m using a stitch marker and proper hook. And I count every section (e.i. Hdc, dc2tog, dc3, dc2tog, hdc). This is the third shoes I’ve tried to make.

• Bethany says

Did you by chance watch the video? It is a 3-6 month size, but the differences are in length, and it’s helpful for all sizes. I am thinking you may have missed an increase.(which would be unnoticeable, because you would still come back to your st marker until the next round) Let me know if you still can’t figure it out! I will help you get it finished.

• Savannah says

I go back and count the increases. And every section. Everything lines up except the straps.

• Bethany says

I am so sorry! That is very frustrating :( I just worked up a pair and they came out perfect so I am sure there is no error in the pattern. The only thing I can think is 1) you are not joining the new color in the right place 2) you are overlooking a couple sneaky stitches on accident. (For instance, step 7 – Sc in same st. SC.) Take a look at the video and see if it can help you. (if you haven’t already). Take a break and come back! And let me know if you need more help.

7. Savannah says

I’m using a g hook. It is slightly larger then the pattern calls for. I crochet pretty tightly and my finished product is always smaller than it should be. But with these shoes I’ve used worsted yarn and regular yarn and they aren’t coming out the size they should be.

8. donna says

i am having one heck of a time getting these right… maybe it’s b/c all my crocheting has been limited to afghans and blankets that directions for wearables just throw me.
    i am wondering if you or any readers have a video of making these? or at least a pic of the beginning and end of each round?
    these are my questions:
    step 4 – join with slip st and finish off….join what? finish off – how?
    step 5 – join at top of ch….join what?
    steps 6 – join what ? where? should the round end at the marker?

sorry for being dense about this..but i’m just lost trying to follow these steps.
    donna

• Bethany says

Step 4: work a sl st in the next st so you don’t have a jagged step/corner where your last st was and have a nice continuous edge, and finish off/weave in your ends
      Step 5: Join your second color at the top of chain, you will now be working in joined rows, and no longer be using the st marker
      Step 6:Join the end of your round with the beginning of the round, with a sl st.
      I am currently working on a video.

9. Liz says

Okay thank you so much! I really appreciate it. The shoes are just darling! I am determined to get it to work up correctly! I have another question. After you join your new color at your stitch marker and chain 1, do you hdc where you tied off your first color with a sl st or do you skip that st and hdc in the next stitch?

10. Liz says

These shoes are darling. I have attempted to make the 9-12 month size shoes numerous times and cannot seem to get past the toe straps. They are not directly across from one another on the shoe, but uneven. Hopefully that makes sense. I read through the comments, but it doesn’t look like anyone else has had the same issue. I’ve never used a stitch marker before so maybe I messed up there. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!

• Bethany says

Definitely the stitch marker. You don’t join where you tie off, you join at the stitch marker, so if you joined your second color at the wrong place, the rest of the pattern will be off. Sorry! Try again with a stitch marker :)

• Liz says

Okay thank you! Can you explain how or when to use the stitch marker? The pattern for 9-12 months just says to “move up your maker” on step 4 and “start with your new color at your stitch marker” on step 5. I’m not sure what this means. Sorry I feel a bit silly for not knowing! Thank you!!

• Brooke says

I am having this same problem…I’m confused…do I just leave a space between where I ‘finish off’ and the stitch marker??

• Liz says

I attempted 9-12 month pattern again using a stitch marker this time and the straps are still uneven. So I tried the 0-3 month size and those came out perfectly! Is it possible there’s a typo somewhere in the 9-12 month? Sorry to be a pain, but I really want to make the 9-12 month size for my son’s first birthday.

• Bethany says

It is definitely possible. For a quick fix, instead of waiting for me to work up a pair and figure out if there is a problem, you can try adjusting the sc between the straps. If your second strap is bit too close to the toe, work an extra sc to even it out. You can even fold the bootie in half lengthwise, lining everything up perfect, and your starting sc should be in the exact middle of the opposite strap. I have made hundreds of these from my own pattern and they work for me, but I will still see if there is a mistake, and I will let you know here, so check back.

• Brooke says

Thank you so much after my 4th attempt things started clicking and I finally finished a pair of 3-6 months and they are ADORABLE!!!!! Now off to make a pair for me!! :)

• kelli says

I am really wanting to make these for my 5 ur old son he’s size 11 can u please help me to where I can make these for him

• Bethany says

If you are using the same yarn, go up 2 chains on the foundation for each size up (if you want it the same width). TO make it wider, add an extra round on the sole, but make sure to compensate for the length of the extra round. And make sure to add an extra stitch in between the increases in the toe and heel. You could also try a bulkier yarn and bigger hook, and work the largest size.

11. Wendy says

Love these shoes so much! the heel of mine look funny though. Instead of the back being straight up, it curls in similar to how the toe part does but not as severely (if that makes sense…). Do you know of any reasons why and what I’m doing wrong?
    Thank you!!!

• Bethany says

It is supposed to curve so it stays on baby’s feet! The photo is a bit old, I should probably update it. I made them for my niece and they wouldn’t stay on for more than a second, so I altered the heel so it curved over and they stayed on much better. You are doing it right!

12. donna says

the booties are adorable. i am having a bit of a challenge getting started. step one – i am confused with the instruction “working across opposite side” after the 7 dc. might you be able to explain in a bit more detail what you mean? thanks so much.

• Bethany says

When you work 7 dc, it will be like half a circle, it will bring you around the end of the chain, around to the other side. From there,you will work across the under side of the chain (which now is on top)until you reach the beginning.

13. Alicia Miller says

Hi I love these and are in the process of making them but your logo seems to be covering up the pattern when I download it? Is it just my phone?

14. melissa says

I really like your baby boat booties and was wondering if you have a full video on how to make the whole thing im not good with instructions im a visual learner

15. Julie H. says

Hi! I’ve been redoing this pattern over and over. I’m working on a 3-6 month size. At step 4 it says to sc 42 st. Well this doesn’t match up with my stitch marker. And then after that the whom pattern is off. Help please! :) my stitch marker is at st 34 of the sc.

• Bethany says

Hi Julie! I dug out a shoe and counted the stitches, and it appears to be the correct stitch count number. However, maybe if you just work one st in each st around and continue on with the pattern, it might still work, but it will be small. Did you work the increases around the toe correctly? Let me know if that works for you!

16. Linda Bull says

Love the pattern. I am confused, after round seven, u say to tie off after making strap holes. No directions on how to re attach the toe flap. Please help.

• Bethany says

You sew them on with a yarn or tapestry needle. Just go in and out until it is secured in place. Make sure to secure the beginning and end well, since that is where the pressure will be when they are used.

17. stephanie says

I have tried to put these together several times. Took me a bit to understand the flap but after I figured out I worked around the 7 sc for 0-3 month size and began the next flap. They were not even close to being even. Have I done something wrong?

• Bethany says

Did you join your second color at the correct place? It is not supposed to be joined where you tied off the white, but at the stitch marker, which I say in the pattern to move up before tying off.

18. Alexis Jackson says

I love this pattern! I was wondering if it’s possible to make for an adult size? Preferably a women’s size 7. If you can help, it’d be greatly appreciated. Email me if possible, at Alexiss.Jacksonn@Gmail.com . Please and thank you! :)

19. says

These are adorable! Is there a gauge? I did see that newborn sole should be 3 1/2 inches in length, which helps. How about the other sizes? Thank you so much for sharing your darling pattern with us!

20. says

Hello! These are adorable! I’ve made 3 pairs (2 for newborns and 1 for 3-6 months) and to my horror i’ve been told that they are all way too small for any newborn to wear! I’m wondering where i went wrong. Do you use US crochet terms as opposed to UK crochet terms? My newborn shoe is about 6 cm long and the 3-6 month shoe is abt 8 cm long. Thank you for your help!

• says

Thank you! Yes, this pattern is US terms. That could be throwing you off. Or it could just simply be your tension. The 0-3 size should be about 3 1/2 inches long (about 9 cm i think). So go up a hook size or hold your yarn looser. Hope this helps!

• says

Thank you do much for sharing…. I have been crocheting for many years but truly have trouble with this pattern. I have started and re-started this several times and the stitches never add up. Would you please let me know if you make a video. These would look great on my new Grand baby. Thanks ; )

• says

I can do that, but I would like to try and help you now! What specific problem are you having? (e.g. how is it not working, what row are you getting stuck on)

• says

I used a larger hook and now the size looks right! Thank you so much! One more question, i cant seem to get the toe end of the shoes to be as square as your pictures, are they actually round? I sew on the tongue of the shoe by turning the shoe inside out and sewing it onto the lowest or second lowest seam of the shoe (not sole). Perhaps I am sewing it wrong? Thank you for being so helpful!

• says

Great! The toes are round. That is a good way to do it. I sew it from the outside and on top because I like the look of the seam going around the top, but you can do it any way that you like. You’re welcome, have a good day!

21. says

You might think I’m weird, but I want to make these for me lol. I love them, they are the cutest slippers I’ve found, the problem is I’m a size 10. Is it possible to make them in adult sizes? Will they still look cute? Thank you for your time and I LOVE your patterns!!!

22. says

23. says

Hello. I have attempted this pattern twice and I think where I’m going wrong is at the very end. How is the toe piece supposed to be attached? Do you have a video of that anywhere?

• says

I don’t. Just lay it where it should be and using your needle, catch the edge of the toe flap, and go through the corresponding sl st on the shoe (in and out until it is sew on). Are you getting stuck somewhere specific?

24. says

I would love a 12-18 month pattern. Could you please do the next size up? My daughter wears a size 3 shoe and it’s pretty hard to find patterns for this age group. If you do that would be great!!! Thanks =)

25. says

Hello :) Thank you for the great pattern :) The only thing that I can’t figure out is the toe piece sewing on the top… What technique do you use? Do you join toe piece with row made in 7 or 6 step? It seems that after the sewing you make some more slip stich chains on the top (I see two rows of chain on the top of finished bootie).Can you explain it in more detail.
    Greatings from Lithuania :)

• says

You are welcome! I just went in and out with my tapestry needle, I didn’t really have a special technique! Line up the end of the toe piece with one st after the toe straps, that is where I started. The little “corners” at the bottom( where you started with the flap) of the toe piece should fit perfectly in between the straps on the shoe, so make sure that is lined up as your are sewing. I didn’t do any more crocheting after sewing it on. Also, the toe flap is a different length for each size, the size pictured is a 3-6 month.

26. says

Love this pattern! I made a few changes on my own to get the look I wanted. I worked in rounds (joining and ch. 1) instead of working a continuous round. Also on round 7 (0-3 size) I worked 8sc rather than 4 hdc2tog

• says

Great! Although without the hdc2tog sts around the heel, they might not stay on baby’s feet very well [I actually edited the pattern ( which originally had 8 hdc) after I gave a pair to my niece and they didn't stay on]. I would love to see a picture!

27. says

Wonderful work. I wanted to donate via PayPal but they told me your account was closed. Is there any other way to donate without using a credit card?

I hope the little Brylee gets better. The best wishes for her and her family.

• says

Hi! Thank you so much, but the woman who was handling all of Brylee’s donations has quit, and they have yet to set up a new paypal account. Hopefully soon, but as of right now, try bryleein5.blogspot.com. Thanks again!

28. says

Oh my goodness. I thought I was asking about these booties, not the Monk strap booties. I’m so sorry. Sorry to have wasted your time. :{
    (silly me)
    I’m trying to make these 0-3 months but am stuck on color B and after.
    I’ve tried a few times to work step 5 and so forth but keep getting the toe part at the heel… please help me fix it. Thank you so so much. I really appreciate it.
    P.S. LOVE your work. :}:}:}:}:}:]
    P.P.S. I hope your friends daughter Brylee gets better and stays better. Love donating to a good cause. :} Hope it helps. Will pray to God for that precious lil girl. :}

• says

Thank you and no problem! Well, you are immediately working on the heel on step 5. So you begin by starting the new color, then you begin the heel: Hdc 1, Dc 8, Hdc 1. Then you just finish the round with sc sts. You shouldn’t quite have the toe formed yet. In case I didn’t make it clear enough on the pattern, the toe flap is a separate piece that you attach with a yarn needle when it’s done. And thank you so much for your prayers and donation, every bit helps :)

29. says

Do you have any suggestions on how to make these for a 2 year old toddler that wears a size 8 shoe?? I’m making these for my friend’s baby and my little boy keeps wanting to put them on! lol

• says

Haha! How cute! You could use this pattern as a template, and just make the sole longer and wider. I have actually seen some interest in making some of my patterns in to toddler sizes, so I am working on getting them written and published.

• says

Thanks so much! I am so glad you like my pattern! I fixed the link, so you should be able to donate now. Thanks for letting me know it wasn’t working.

30. says

These are so cute, although, I had a question. On step 5 where it says not to join, do you just keep working around? I kept going like that and it felt like I was then working the top toe part on the heel section of the bottom, if you know what I mean.

• says

Make sure you are using a stitch marker. This pattern is done “in the round” which means you don’t join the rounds. If your marker is where it is supposed to be (step one tells where to put it) hopefully, you shouldn’t have trouble. The sc2tog helps keep the heel snug.

31. says

Oh my goodness these are darling! And they definitely work well for both boys & girls. Loafers are great for everyone. I will definitely be making these!

PS Thank you for your sweet comment on my Gen. Conf. TV Toning post! :)

Happy Mother’s Day!

32. says

So cute! Now if only I knew what all those crochet codes mean it would be awesome. I can crochet basic stuff be just looking at samples but following steps like the ones you share are like me swimming. [P.S. I don't know how to swin. YIKES!] Thanks so much for sharing. Hm, would it be possible to create a post sharing what the crochet codes mean?

• Savannah says

33. says

Ohhh, I’ve been wanting to find a cute shoe crochet pattern for my little boy, everything is always for girls, but these are perfect! Can’t wait to make them!!

34. says

Ps WordPress users can’t help it they’re no reply bloggers :( here’s an article if your interested in learning how to contact your nrb’s. hope it helps!

Trackbacks