We woke up to a beautiful blanket of snow this morning. I am not a huge fan of the cold, but I really do love the snow. Unfortunately, it’s not the fun, wet snow that packs easily into snowmen and snowballs, so the kids will be disappointed when we go out and try to make things (me too actually). Regardless, it’s very lovely to look at! And it’s rather perfect weather conditions for the release of my Crochet Snowfall Slouchy Hat today.
A few weeks ago, a reader asked if my Snowfall Mittens had a matching hat. I didn’t at the time, but it was such a great idea, I knew I needed to get it made. It turned out very nice.
Crochet Snowfall Slouchy Hat
Please remember: You are free to use this pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
Gauge: 14 dc = 4″
1. Hdc in 2nd ch from hook. Hdc 5. Turn.
2. – 46. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 4 in back loops only. Hdc in last st, through both loops.
Band should be very stretchy, and should be approx. 15″ long, UNSTRETCHED. This measurement is only accurate if you haven’t stretched it around your head yet. It should buy stretchy enough to stretch several inches.
Fold in half, sl st both ends together forming a band. Turn inside out, so the seam is on the inside, and the loop is on the top.
1. Sc 72 around the top o the band. Achieve this count by approx. working 3 sc for every 2 rows of hdc and working an increase every 6 sts. Join with sl st.
2. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc in each st. Join with sl st. (72 sts)
3. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc in next st. Grab gray onto hook. Finish st with blue (the stitch will look like a knit stitch). *Sc 3 with navy, work a sc knit st* repeat all around the hat. Work one navy sc in last st. Join with sl st. (72 sts)
4. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc in each st around. Join with sl st. (72 sts).
5. Ch 1. Work a sc knit st with gray in same st. Sc 3 with navy . *Work a sc knit st. Sc 3 with navy* repeat all around the hat. Join with sl st st (72 sts)
6. – 17. Repeat rows 2-5 respectively.
18. Ch 2. (work with navy only) Dc in same st. *Dc2tog. Dc* work all around the hat. Join with sl st. (48 sts).
19. Ch 2. Dc2tog 24 times. Join with sl st. (24 sts)
Tie off ends. Thread a length of yarn onto your darning needle. Turn your hat inside out and sew a running stitch, going in and out around the top. Pull the ends and cinch shut. Tie the ends in a firm knot.
Don’t forget to make matching mittens!
You may also like these FREE patterns:
Like this post? Subscribe!
(and get a free gift!)