Vegetable Garden Quietbook Template

I actually finished this page several months ago, but I never posted a template, so I decided to get one made up!

This one is my own pattern but I got inspiration for this page at Leafy Treetop Spot. Tricia’s page is so cute! I just loved her idea for a vegetable garden so much, I had to try it.

Vegetable Garden Felt Quiet Book Page Template Pattern

You can find a printable template here:Veggie Garden Template

I cut the garden rows piece in dark brown, and sewed it onto a sky-blue piece of felt. I just eyeballed the holes. They aren’t perfect, but oh well!  I also left the bottom unsewn. If a veggie or two gets pushed down through the holes, it can be easily retrieved.

To make the veggies, I sewed the green parts together first. Make sure to do any embroidery work before sewing the pieces together (on the veggies and the signs). Then, I took my sewn greenery,  sandwiched it between the two veggie pieces, and sewed the whole thing together. I hand-sew all of the small pieces. It may seem to take longer, but I have a hard time sewing small pieces of felt effectively on the machine.

I really hope those little vegetable don’t get lost.  I had a reader suggest attaching a ribbon to each vegetable so they don’t get misplaced, and I think I will do that. They were a bit tedious to work up, I would be a shame to have to keep making more to replace the lost pieces.

Happy sewing!

Signature

Comments

1. Ashley says

This is so sweet – I’m in the middle of making a version for my boys! Thanks for sharing.

I hope you don’t mind, but my grandfather would chide me if I didn’t mention that potatoes don’t grow with greens attached like carrots and beets! If you want greens attached for the purpose of this harvest page, I would suggest making onions or turnips in place of potatoes. Potatoes are attached to their plants by little roots, it’s very neat actually, and harvested quiet differently. There are lots of videos online that show you – here is one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f5h2-gAVQ2w

I spent one too many summer days harvesting potatoes as a kid to not mention it. :)

• says

Thanks!
      They do have greens, you are just saying there is more than one potato on the root. I get it! We grew potatoes as a kid, I guess I didn’t think having one potato on the root as opposed to a bunch was a big enough difference to put it on the patterns.
      Thanks for the video!

2. says

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:

If you have other kid-friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

3. says

This is super cute & so much fun! You know, I’m not sure kids ever really grow out of “quiet books.” I love them & I’m in my thirties. Oops. . . did I just tell on myself?

• says

Thanks, Grace! I know, I love them too! My mom had one for us when we were little and I always thought it was fun!

4. says

Guess you could attach the veggies with small pieces of velcro and just tuck them into an opening, rather than tucking them into a pocket as such for the planting/reaping?
    I make tactile resources for visually impaired children and using different textured fabrics for the veggies would add interest for special needs children too.
    Its a nice little activity this!

5. says

Bethany, this is simply adorable! You are so creative!!

Just wanted to let you know that your Quiet Book is being featured today over at Huckleberry Love! Stop on by to grab our “I Was Featured” button! We hope to see you back next week. :)

~Emily

• says

Thanks, Havalah! I hope you do. My son hasn’t had a chance to play with it (my book isn’t put together yet) but I hope he loves it.

6. says

This is adorable! I’m actually in the process of making a quiet book for my little one and may need to add this page. I am your newest follower and would love for you to check out my blog and possibly follow it. Stopping by from http://hoybycrafts.blogspot.com

7. says

Cute quiet book page! I saw it on Craft-O-Maniac and had to see. Thanks for the template. I’m pinning for later. My kids will love this.

8. says

Aww this is so adorable! So cute and beautifully made! :)

9. says

Oh my goodness how I wish I could sew. This is absolutely amazing! It caught my eye immediately at when I saw your pic at the Tatertots & Jello link-up. I wonder if I could figure out a way to make this no-sew ;-).

Trackbacks