Little Dot Mary Janes Pattern

This post includes affiliate links. For more information, click HERE.

{Update: This sweet little angel is now resting in the arms of her Heavenly Father. We are grateful for her life, and I thank you for your support of this family in their time of need. }

Hold your children close.

Since we heard the news that our friends’ little girl has been diagnosed with brain cancer, I can’t help but hold my son closer, and give extra thanks to my God every night for his good health.

I decided to post this pattern in the hopes that it might help out in some way. I am posting it for free, but I ask, if you can,  that you please donate a dollar or two to the Brylee in 5 Fund if you decide to download it. I wrote it especially for Brylee, so please, give just a little if you can.

Free Crochet Pattern - Get the free pattern for these adorable baby bootie Mary Janes! {Pattern by Whistle and Ivy}

This pattern is very simple and only takes about an hour to make up a pair. They are crocheted in the round and work up real quick.

You will need:

Caron Simple Soft Yarn
Size F Hook
2 small buttons

***
By using this free pattern, you are agreeing to NOT redistribute this pattern (whether electronically or by printing and handing out copies). Sharing is a form of theft! If you would like to share, please direct others to my page. Pageviews enable me to publish my patterns for free, so please help me to continue to do so.

You are free to sell items you make from this pattern! By using my pattern and selling your items, you are also agreeing that you will give credit by adding a link to the original blog post in each individual listing, or on your tags. And DO NOT use my photos to sell your items! Thank you!

***

Stitches used:

Single crochet
Double Crochet
Half Double Crochet
Sc2tog
Hdc2og
Dc2tog

You can find the pattern here: Little mary janes crochet pattern

You may also like The Toddler version of this pattern, or the pattern for these little boat shoes.

Happy crocheting!

Comments

1. Daphne says

Hi! Thanks for your great patterns. I am a beginner and your videos helped me get started, now I’ve done 3 of your shoe patterns and learned all the stitches. Thanks!

• Leslie says

What would change if I used worsted weight 4 ply yarn and still used the F hook? Thank you

• says

The pattern actually calls for worsted. Unfortunately, I only use Caron so I can’t comment on what other yarns will do. You will just have to work up a shoe and compare it to the approx length in the pattern.

2. Meghan says

Hi! I love your creations they are the cutest ever!! Thanks for the pattern written and the video tutorial it is very helpful, however I have found discrepancies from pattern to video on a couple of your patterns. The video works best because I use the pattern and my stitches are off…I always have to adjust. I want to save your pattern to keep making is it okay if I repost your pattern directing back stating I adjusted slightly?

Hi Meghan!
      I made a slight change to the written pattern, and haven’t updated the video, but it was for my own perfectionism and doesn’t affect the outcome. I have made more of these than I can count (they were big sellers in my shop) so I assure you that the pattern is correct. Please don’t repost my pattern, you are always welcome to link to me, but reposting it in full violates my copyright as well as my blog’s terms of use.
      Thanks!

• Deby says

Cute shoes! On step four for the 0-3 month is it sc all around or hdc all around? The video says you misspoke. I am confused.

• says

I always type the correct thing (it is so nerve-wracking to shoot a video, and my face isn’t even in it!) so trust the text, not my voice. Sc all around except work a hdc in the last st.

3. Nancy says

Bethany- Love the Maryjane shoes. I worked them up for 0-3 month size, no problems until I tried to make the dot. I found a youtube instruction for the magic ring, but your instructions say crochet 6 then crochet 2, what stitch? or Am I just missing something obvious? Thanks in advance for any help

• says

Oh no! Sorry, it should say single crochet. I am uploading an updated one shortly. In fact, I actually work 8 sc in the magic ring and tie off there. Sorry for the confusion!

• Nancy says

Thanks, worked up just perfect. Will be trying more of your patterns, crochet and sewing. Thanks for sharing. Will give credit for your patterns, too.

4. Erica says

Really bummed that I can’t view the pdf without a giant black logo covering must of the pattern :( I’ve tried several different readers (kindle, iPhone, iPod, computer, etc ) guess I’ll have to go find a different pattern to use

• says

Did you try tapping “reader view” or opening in Adobe Reader? The logo is a light gray watermark.

5. Samantha H. says

hi Bethany,
    I am a beginner and I am learning how to read patterns. I would love to try your patterns, but like someone else on here said, it is very difficult to read them with your black logo covering them. I am using a regular desk top, and I have tried opening it with adobe. it will not allow me to do so. the only file it is allowing me to open the patterns with is a PDF file. any suggestions?

• says

The logo is light gray, not black, so for some reason your desktop is not displaying it correctly. Many other commenters were using a Kindle, which is e-paper and having problems displaying gray, but I have no idea why you would be having problems with your computer. Did you try a different browser? PDF is an Adobe Reader file, so it should open with it. Do you have it installed?

6. Gloria says

Hi Bethany
    I am diabetic and I have very little feeling in my feet. Therefore I cannot feel if a shoe is on or off until I fall over it. These Mary Jane slippers are just what I have been looking for to have for myself as a slipper. If you have this pattern in adult sizes it would be very much appreciated.

Hi Gloria,

I am so sorry! I don’t currently have this one in adult sizes, but I have gotten requests for more adult slippers so I am going to design more.

7. Bonnie says

Would love to crochet your patterns but your logo covers most of the pattern and it is black so you can’t see all the pattern.

• says

You can try a different app like Adobe Reader. It doesn’t display well on a Kindle, because it’s e-paper instead of a tablet screen. The watermark is light grey and will display correctly on a screen.

8. Jessame says

These are so adorable and your video tutorial was so helpful to me as a beginner. Thank you so much!

• Bethany says

Thank you Jessame! I am glad you like the video :)

9. esther says

Dear Bethany
    Thank you for the instructions. they
    arevery ciear.
    I enjoyed to make the shoes for my grandaughter and
    I’m sure she’ll enjoy wearing them.

• Bethany says

You are very welcome! Thank you for your sweet comment, I am glad you like the pattern!

• Aires Hegarty says

Hi Bethany,

I just wanted to say “Thank You” for sharing your gorgeous little Mary Jane pattern. I loved making these cute shoes. Was wondering, any tips on how I can make it for myself! Ha ha ha…

Look forward to doing more of your creations.

Best wishes,
      Aires

• Bethany says

You are so welcome Aires! Thank you for taking the time to leave such a sweet comment :)
        I might just need to write an adult version ;)

• Aires says

Yay! That would be great!! :)

I’m trying to make a bigger one right now for my 5 year old….The size 8 fits my 2 year old. :)
          Any hints how many stitches to add?

Xx

• Bethany says

I usually go up 2 chains for each size up, but i think It would be easier to grab some bulkier year and a bigger hook and work the size 8.

• Aires Hegarty says

Great, will try the bigger yarn and needle :)
            Thanks Bethany

10. Shayla says

Adorable! Is there an optional off for this pattern? I can only read a small portion of it due to the logo covering a large area where the pattern text is. Any help would be appreciated.

• Shayla says

That should have read, optional pdf… silly auto correct. :)

• Bethany says

Thank you! If you are using a reader, try using a different reading app. The logo is very light gray when displayed correctly.

11. May Leung says

Hi Bethany, this is a very smart & the best pattern that I found. This pattern to crochet the shoes in round makes it neat and nice avoiding the confusion of whether the stepping stitch should be counted or crocheted into. Because some did and some didn’t and was not mentioned in the pattern. So I have to redo the work several times. I’m glad that I found your pattern that I can make it straight to the end. No more confusions! Thanks Bethany!

• Bethany says

You are very welcome! I am glad you like my pattern, and I appreciate your sweet comment. Thank you!

12. Katie says

Is there a way to make the Mary Jane Slipper any bigger for a 3 or 4 year old?

13. says

Hello there Bethany! I worked up a pair of these and I absolutely love them! Just had a few questions – 1) What size buttons did you use? ; 2) What are the average sizes for the different age groups – so I make sure I’m gifting the correct sizes. Please and thank you!

Thanks!
      Approximate sizing (everyone crochets differently)

0-3 months: 9.5 cm long

3-6 months: 11.5 cm long

6-9 months: 13 cm long

9-12 months: 14 cm long

14. bonnie says

Lov all your patterns. So easy for a beginner to understand.

15. ria says

Hey! I love the video tutorial for this pattern! I am having a problem when downloading any of your patterns, where they are water marked with the logo and I can’t read through it. I was just wondering if I missed a step or did something wrong when downloading. Thank you for the help!

• Bethany says

If you are reading on a device, you need to use a different reading app than the default one. If you are using a computer, try a different browser. The watermark is light gray and doesn’t interfere when displayed correctly.

16. Wendy says

I’m having the same problem as another commenter with the 6-9 month pattern, extra stitch in row 5, and then nothing fits after. If I drop a sc at the end of 5, it still doesn’t work. I’m having the same problem with the 9-12 month pattern. The 0-3 & 3-6 month ones work fine, but I’m just not good enough myself to figure out the proper counts, and it’s driving me nuts! I look forward to hearing if you’re able to figure it out. Love your stuff!

• Elissa Gilbert says

I was having the same trouble on that size, here’s what I did: At the end of row 4, sc all around – do not hdc the last stitch. Then, on row 5: hdc 1, dc 8, hdc 1, sc 36.

I did this and then did row 6 and it all worked out and is symmetrical. :)

• Elissa Gilbert says

Then on row 7: dc2tog, dc 4, dc2tog, sc 10 (not dc 11), dc2tog 5 times, sc 9.

• Bethany says

Found a miscount with the last number of sc sts on step 5. Fixed it! Sorry for your confusion.

• Crystal R. says

I should have read the comments first cause I had the same problem. Thank you for the correction. I will take them apart and retry. :-)

17. Savannah says

I loved this pattern and two others made a pair for my daughter and my cousin. But I was wondering if you could create a high top converse bootie pattern.

• Bethany says

Well, I know there are several free ones on Ravelry. I haven’t tried them, but if they aren’t great, I can see what I can do!

• Savannah says

I found a pattern that I liked. But the person who created it had never rewritten a pattern before and the way she wrote it was confusing.

• Savannah says

Ok so I’m having a problem with this pattern. I’m making the 6-9 month size. I use a stitch marker every time. But rows 5 & 7 don’t lineup. They are a stitch or two extra on the rows.

• Bethany says

Did you follow along with the video?

• Savannah says

Yes I did. And followed the pattern exact. Idk what happened but they came out looking fine.

• Bethany says

Well the video is for 3-6 months. Did you follow along with the written pattern for your 6-9 month size?

• Savannah says

Yes I did. Went back and counted every stitch after every row.

• Bethany says

Hm. I will see if there is a mistake. Which row did you get off on?

• Savannah says

Row 5 had just 1 extra stitch and row 7 has 2

• Savannah says

Row 7 on the 6-9 months still doesn’t line up

• Bethany says

Are you using a stitch marker?

• Bethany says

Oh typo! That should say dc2tog 4 times.

• Juanita says

The Toddler Little Dot Mary Jane. I have tried to crochet this pattern several times. Who every wrote this have never written a pattern before. It can’t be done.

• Bethany says

Would you mind directing me to your crochet blog? I would love to read some of your patterns so I could get some tips on how to make mine better. Thanks!

18. Elizabeth says

I would love to have the pattern for the hat as well. I am trying booties and a baby hat for the first time. Thanks so much!

19. renata says

Beautiful ideas. I am all for credit where credit is due :-)
    If I make these am I able to sell them as well or is that not allowed

• Bethany says

Thanks! You can sell, but you must give credit to me as the author of the pattern (my name and blog name), as well as a link back to the original pattern post.

20. says

Hi. I found your pattern which was listed on allfreecrochet.com and thought it was absolutely adorable (and even doable for a newbie like me haha). And then I saw what you wrote about your friend’s little girl. I read their blog, and it really is heart wrenching… I made sure to say a prayer for them and brylee. Even with such a terrible diagnosis, their outlook and trying to make the most of the time they are blessed to have with her is unbelievably inspiring. God really has his hands over her! I hope they are all still doing well! God bless you and Brylee and her family!

• says

Thank you for your prayers! I truly believe that they are helping; this little girl is a fighter and has moved into the 5% who make it longer than 1 year. Although she is terminal, she is holding strong, and we are so grateful for the time she has been able to have with her family. Thank you!

21. says

Thank’s so much for sharing this awesome pattern ! It is so easy to make, and works up really fast ! Absolutly adore these – I’m so gonna make them in a toddler size as well . If you’d like to my version you can find them on my blog – be aware that it is a danish blog, and therefore my writhing is also in danish ;)
    fabrikkenbyk.blogspot.com

22. says

Merci beaucoup pour ces magnifiques petites chaussures crochetées pour ma petite-fille. Vos vidéos sont très bien fait. Thank you! Thanks so much for this beautifuls baby boots, it’s so cute for my granddaughter. I like your work, your videos are perfect. Thank you! I hope that you understand my English comment. Bye…bye…Have a good day!
    Monique

• says

Thank you! I took 2 years of French in high school, so I understood your French a little (Just a little, haha) Thank you for your sweet comment, I am so glad you like this pattern!

23. says

I am new to crocheting and your site. How is your friend’s little girl now? I noticed the original posting was nearly a year ago.
    So many families are being affected by cancer, just breaks my heart. Thanks for what you are doing.
    Lynnette

• says

Hi Lynette! She is actually doing okay. Most children with her type of cancer die within 11 months (95 %) but she is hanging on strong, so we are so grateful! It’s been amazing to see the hand of God in her and her family’s lives at this hard time. Thanks so much for visiting :)

24. says

Hi again. I just finished your video tutorial. Wonderful job, btw. Would you please email me instructions for flowers you put on them. Thanks so much.

25. says

Bethany, Thank you very much for the pattern. There is one picture above with a matching hat in it. Is there any way to get that pattern too? I really want to make the matching set today if at all possible. lauraelandon@gmail (dotcom) if you can email me directly. Thank you!!

26. says

27. says

28. says

Beautiful! May I sell baby booties I make from these patterns? I’m looking to raise money for a pro-life agency, SavetheStorks.com. Thank you!

29. says

Hi Bethany. I love these!!! I am so anxious to start, however the OFF is not downloading for me. I viewed the tutorial and guess i will work from that. If you can help me obtain the written directions, I would greatly appreciate it. Robin mrs.garland2003@gmail.com

30. says

• says

This may not be what you want to hear, but it sounds like you have miscounted :(

I just published a video tutorial, maybe it will be helpful to you! Click the video link under the pdf link on this page.

31. says

Hi Bethany,

Adorable booties. But help! Stuck at 5, the 8 dc makes heel part too far to left side (facing bootie at the front). Using stitch marke so dont know what I did wrong.

Marcie
    Skill level: Novice
    Enthusiasm level: High

32. says

2 comments in one day :/ Just wanted to come back and take back the above comment. I tried again and it turned out perfect. I don’t know what I did the first two times but it was definitely user error. Thanks again for sharing this adorable pattern.

33. says

Love the booties. I am having the same problem as Geneva for the 0-3 mo size. I’ve made them two times and the strap starts too close to the heel. Things seem to be 4 stitches off for me too. I’ll keep working on it though to figure out what I am not doing right.

34. says

So, so cute! I have a niece due to arrive in December and I hope to make her at least one pair of these before them :)
    Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful creations!

• says

PS: i attempted to visit the link above and the Donate button too. Neither work. :-/

• says

You are so welcome! I know it’s not working :( The woman who was in charge of the fundraising unexpectedly quit, and they have not set up a new paypal donation account. Thank you so much, anyway!!

35. says

The donate button (right under the second photo) will take you to a paypal donation account, thanks so much!

36. says

Bethany, can you add a PayPal account where we can have a donation sent? I prefer using PayPal for online purchases. Can send to an email. If you open an account for him, then register the account with PayPal with email on that account, then people can donate from there. Great idea.

37. says

Thanks for the pattern-what a nice way to help your friend! I went to her blog and donated. My prayers are with them.

38. says

Hello there!
    I would love to feature these on The Firefly Hook for our Free Pattern Friday. Hopefully it will send traffic your way and help raise awareness (and donations) for Brylee. Let me know if that’s okay and if I can use a photo of the shoes from this post.

Warmly (and with prayers for that sweet girl),
    Abbey (for The Firefly Hook)

39. says

Lots of prayers to your friends little girl. I have 8 children of my own, 3 step-children – 22, 20 & 17, then 4 girls that my husband & I have together – 12, 10, 7 & 2 today, then we adopted a lil girl when she was 6 & is now 18 with my first grand-daughter. My point is I could not imagine what your friends are going thru & they are lucky to have the support of friends like yourself! I will pray for them & hope & wish for nothing but a positive outcome! The shoes are darling & I can’t wait to make them for my grand-daughter, she is 5 mos now!

• says

Thanks so much for your prayers and support! We are all praying for her and her family, and every prayer helps. I am glad you like my pattern, thanks :)

40. says

Please, enter me in the contest! These shoes are the sweeties thing i have seen. I did not see a place to enter the contest, except maybe leaving a comment. I got an email stating you could win $25 gift card to Joann and girls booties,hat or boys booties, hat or woman slippers. So i chose the baby girls things.My cousin is having a little girl and i know she will just go crazy over the booties and hat. Thank you so much and God bless you! I will be praying for Brylee and her family!
    Norma S.

41. says

I tried using a stitch marker and it turned out right this time! I’m so happy :) thank you so much for the advice and the pattern, and for creating it for a wonderful cause!

• says

Yay! I’m so glad! I am going to try and put out at least one new pattern a month, so stop by again some time!

• says

Well, mine are working up correctly. Make sure you are using a stitch marker. The stitch marker is always on the right side of the heel, right before the heel starts rounding. If it is in the correct place, step 4 should end near the heal, and the dc 8 should start as the heel starts rounding.

42. says

I’m too having trouble with the 6-9 month size and the part where you dc 8 which is supposed to be on the heal does end up on the side. I’m not sure where the problem is there, I think it may be more than the correction you had already made. This is a great pattern! I did make the 3-6 month size for my daughter and they turned out SO cute! I used cotton yarn and added a little pearl in the middle of the dot. my email is amanda.b.vanhoose@gmail.com…. thanks for your help!

43. says

These booties are awesome. My daughter just turned 4 month and I want to crochet these!
    I have a problem with row 8 though. Can you please explain what I have to do when you say “Sc down your ch and sl st into next st on shoe”. I am very new to crochet.
    Thanks

44. says

Hi! These are ADORABLE! Thanks for posting! I’ve made the 0-3 and 3-6 sizes and they turned out perfectly, but I’m having trouble with the 6-9. They don’t seem to be working out quite right and I’m too new to this to be able to explain why. There seem to be too many somethings somewhere and when I get to step 5, my 8 dcs end up on the side of the bootie. Does that make any sense at all? I’m about to tear it out and try again, but I wanted to comment here first to see if anyone else is having the same problem.
    Oh…and I don’t even have a girl. I have two boys. But I had to make these anyway because they are JUST TOO CUTE!!!

• says

Oh no! I am sorry for any confusion and delay. I will work one up and see if I can find where I made a mistake. Would you mind emailing me? I would like to email you when I get it figured out: whistleandivy at gmail dot com

• says

Alright,I definitely made a mistake. Step one should be ch 13, work 3 sc in 2nd ch from hook. The rest should be right.

45. says

These are wonderful! I have 1 question: what is the difference between Sctog 1 and Sc2tog? I can’t figure it out.

• says

Hm. I think I may have made a typo. About where in the pattern is that? I am not sure, but I might have meant sc2tog 1 time, and missed typing the 2 in the word. I’m sorry for any trouble. Please email me, so I can help you get this worked out! whistleandivy at gmail dot com.

• says

Thank you! Of course you can sell what you make! Just make sure to give me credit for creating the pattern :)
      Happy crocheting!!

46. says

Congrats on being featured on What’d You Do This Weekend hop. I’m a copy cat. I HAVE to include this post on my hop this week, too. It is called Wonderful Wednesday. Please stop by.

Many blessings, Sinea from Ducks ‘n a Row

47. says

These are just perfect! So many people have family members and friends affected by this horrible disease…myself included. My little brother was diagnosed with brain cancer when he was 5, he is now 27! I will be praying for little Brylee and her family and wish them the best!
    -Cassie, CreationsbyCassieLynn.blogspot.com

• says

I am so glad to hear that about your brother. Thanks so much for your kind words and prayers. Miracles can happen!

48. says

Wish I knew how to crochet, these are darling! Donated and will download pattern for later use! Thinking of little Brylee and her family.

• says

Ask some of your friends or at church and maybe you can find someone to show you. I just volunteered to teach crochet or knitting one evening at church. I had to review as it has been a long time. I can usually teach people to do both . I make it simple. I bought an inexpensive beginning book to refresh my memory. Some of these patterns are so cute. Church is a great place to look as grandma age women may be able to teach you.

49. says

These little shoes are so adorable! I hope you’re able to raise lots of money for your friend’s little girl – I can’t begin to imagine what they must be going through!

I’d be thrilled if you’d link up at this week’s Off the Hook!

50. says

Those shoes are adorable! Thank you for the pattern. It is stories like this one that make us appreciate all that we have and hold those that we love just a little bit closer. Sending prayers their way.

• says

You are so welcome, I hope you enjoy this pattern! Thanks so much for the prayers, she needs them.

51. says

You definately have a very crafty hand…the shoes are adorable. Yes, stories like this always make us hold our dear ones closer. So sad this has to happen to children especially.

52. says

Very sweet Mary Janes…. kinda sad though cuz my DD will be 20 soon. Guess I have grandkids to make such lovely things for— once I learn to knit and crochet !

Honestly, the shoes are ADORABLE, and I love the soft green you made them :)

Happy Easter Coming soon and it’s always great to see creative minds at work. :)

Visiting from MONDAYFUNDAY @ C.R.A.F.T. linky party
    Smiles,
    Suz @MaytagNMom
    NW Illinois
    MY PROJECT I’M PARTYING WITH THIS WEEK

53. says

Downloaded and Donated!!! It’s great to see how everyone is doing their best to help out Brylee and her family. Sending prayers their way.

• says

PS…..I just totally realized who you were! Hey Bethany is Brittany (Brown) Bentley from Ferron! :)

54. says

Super cute little shoes! I pray for precious Brylee – peace for her family, healing for her body. The Lord is faithful! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

55. says

Those are so beautiful and sweet! My prayers are with your friends and their little girl.

Trackbacks

1. […] here: Bitty Bow Baby Sandals Do you like these? You may like these Gladiator Sandals, or these little Mary Janes. ***You are welcome to use this pattern to make items in your crochet shop, however you MUST […]