Little Dot Mary Janes Pattern

This post includes affiliate links. For more information, click HERE.

{Update: This sweet little angel is now resting in the arms of her Heavenly Father. We are grateful for her life, and I thank you for your support of this family in their time of need. }

Hold your children close.

Since we heard the news that our friends’ little girl has been diagnosed with brain cancer, I can’t help but hold my son closer, and give extra thanks to my God every night for his good health.

I decided to post this pattern in the hopes that it might help out in some way. I am posting it for free, but I ask, if you can,  that you please donate a dollar or two to the Brylee in 5 Fund if you decide to download it. I wrote it especially for Brylee, so please, give just a little if you can.

Free Crochet Pattern - Get the free pattern for these adorable baby bootie Mary Janes! {Pattern by Whistle and Ivy}

This pattern is very simple and only takes about an hour to make up a pair. They are crocheted in the round and work up real quick.

You will need:
Caron Simple Soft Yarn
Size F Hook
2 small buttons

(That pattern to the little hat can be found here.)

***
By using this free pattern, you are agreeing to NOT redistribute this pattern (whether electronically or by printing and handing out copies). Sharing is a form of theft! If you would like to share, please direct others to my page. Pageviews enable me to publish my patterns for free, so please help me to continue to do so.

You are free to sell items you make from this pattern! By using my pattern and selling your items, you are also agreeing that you will give credit by adding a link to the original blog post in each individual listing, or on your tags. And DO NOT use my photos to sell your items! Thank you!

***

You can find the pattern here: Little mary janes crochet pattern

Thanks so much, in advance, for your generosity and love. Feel free to visit the Brylee in 5 blog, and leave a word or two of encouragement or follow along with her treatments on her Facebook Page.

You may also like The Toddler version of this pattern, or the pattern for these little boat shoes.

Happy crocheting!

I love comments :) Thanks so much for taking the time, it means a lot!

Comments

1. esther says

Dear Bethany
    Thank you for the instructions. they
    arevery ciear.
    I enjoyed to make the shoes for my grandaughter and
    I’m sure she’ll enjoy wearing them.

2. Shayla says

Adorable! Is there an optional off for this pattern? I can only read a small portion of it due to the logo covering a large area where the pattern text is. Any help would be appreciated.

3. May Leung says

Hi Bethany, this is a very smart & the best pattern that I found. This pattern to crochet the shoes in round makes it neat and nice avoiding the confusion of whether the stepping stitch should be counted or crocheted into. Because some did and some didn’t and was not mentioned in the pattern. So I have to redo the work several times. I’m glad that I found your pattern that I can make it straight to the end. No more confusions! Thanks Bethany!

4. says

Hello there Bethany! I worked up a pair of these and I absolutely love them! Just had a few questions – 1) What size buttons did you use? ; 2) What are the average sizes for the different age groups – so I make sure I’m gifting the correct sizes. Please and thank you!

• Bethany says

Thanks!
      Approximate sizing (everyone crochets differently)

0-3 months: 9.5 cm long

3-6 months: 11.5 cm long

6-9 months: 13 cm long

9-12 months: 14 cm long

5. ria says

Hey! I love the video tutorial for this pattern! I am having a problem when downloading any of your patterns, where they are water marked with the logo and I can’t read through it. I was just wondering if I missed a step or did something wrong when downloading. Thank you for the help!

• Bethany says

If you are reading on a device, you need to use a different reading app than the default one. If you are using a computer, try a different browser. The watermark is light gray and doesn’t interfere when displayed correctly.

6. Wendy says

I’m having the same problem as another commenter with the 6-9 month pattern, extra stitch in row 5, and then nothing fits after. If I drop a sc at the end of 5, it still doesn’t work. I’m having the same problem with the 9-12 month pattern. The 0-3 & 3-6 month ones work fine, but I’m just not good enough myself to figure out the proper counts, and it’s driving me nuts! I look forward to hearing if you’re able to figure it out. Love your stuff!

• Elissa Gilbert says

I was having the same trouble on that size, here’s what I did: At the end of row 4, sc all around – do not hdc the last stitch. Then, on row 5: hdc 1, dc 8, hdc 1, sc 36.

I did this and then did row 6 and it all worked out and is symmetrical. :)

7. Savannah says

I loved this pattern and two others made a pair for my daughter and my cousin. But I was wondering if you could create a high top converse bootie pattern.

• Bethany says

Well, I know there are several free ones on Ravelry. I haven’t tried them, but if they aren’t great, I can see what I can do!

• Savannah says

I found a pattern that I liked. But the person who created it had never rewritten a pattern before and the way she wrote it was confusing.

8. Elizabeth says

I would love to have the pattern for the hat as well. I am trying booties and a baby hat for the first time. Thanks so much!

9. renata says

Beautiful ideas. I am all for credit where credit is due :-)
    If I make these am I able to sell them as well or is that not allowed

• Bethany says

Thanks! You can sell, but you must give credit to me as the author of the pattern (my name and blog name), as well as a link back to the original pattern post.

10. says

Hi. I found your pattern which was listed on allfreecrochet.com and thought it was absolutely adorable (and even doable for a newbie like me haha). And then I saw what you wrote about your friend’s little girl. I read their blog, and it really is heart wrenching… I made sure to say a prayer for them and brylee. Even with such a terrible diagnosis, their outlook and trying to make the most of the time they are blessed to have with her is unbelievably inspiring. God really has his hands over her! I hope they are all still doing well! God bless you and Brylee and her family!

• says

Thank you for your prayers! I truly believe that they are helping; this little girl is a fighter and has moved into the 5% who make it longer than 1 year. Although she is terminal, she is holding strong, and we are so grateful for the time she has been able to have with her family. Thank you!

11. says

Thank’s so much for sharing this awesome pattern ! It is so easy to make, and works up really fast ! Absolutly adore these – I’m so gonna make them in a toddler size as well . If you’d like to my version you can find them on my blog – be aware that it is a danish blog, and therefore my writhing is also in danish ;)
    fabrikkenbyk.blogspot.com

12. says

Merci beaucoup pour ces magnifiques petites chaussures crochetées pour ma petite-fille. Vos vidéos sont très bien fait. Thank you! Thanks so much for this beautifuls baby boots, it’s so cute for my granddaughter. I like your work, your videos are perfect. Thank you! I hope that you understand my English comment. Bye…bye…Have a good day!
    Monique

• says

Thank you! I took 2 years of French in high school, so I understood your French a little (Just a little, haha) Thank you for your sweet comment, I am so glad you like this pattern!

13. says

I am new to crocheting and your site. How is your friend’s little girl now? I noticed the original posting was nearly a year ago.
    So many families are being affected by cancer, just breaks my heart. Thanks for what you are doing.
    Lynnette

• says

Hi Lynette! She is actually doing okay. Most children with her type of cancer die within 11 months (95 %) but she is hanging on strong, so we are so grateful! It’s been amazing to see the hand of God in her and her family’s lives at this hard time. Thanks so much for visiting :)

14. says

Bethany, Thank you very much for the pattern. There is one picture above with a matching hat in it. Is there any way to get that pattern too? I really want to make the matching set today if at all possible. lauraelandon@gmail (dotcom) if you can email me directly. Thank you!!

15. says

16. says

• says

This may not be what you want to hear, but it sounds like you have miscounted :(

I just published a video tutorial, maybe it will be helpful to you! Click the video link under the pdf link on this page.

17. says

Hi Bethany,

Adorable booties. But help! Stuck at 5, the 8 dc makes heel part too far to left side (facing bootie at the front). Using stitch marke so dont know what I did wrong.

Marcie
    Skill level: Novice
    Enthusiasm level: High

18. says

2 comments in one day :/ Just wanted to come back and take back the above comment. I tried again and it turned out perfect. I don’t know what I did the first two times but it was definitely user error. Thanks again for sharing this adorable pattern.

19. says

Love the booties. I am having the same problem as Geneva for the 0-3 mo size. I’ve made them two times and the strap starts too close to the heel. Things seem to be 4 stitches off for me too. I’ll keep working on it though to figure out what I am not doing right.

20. says

So, so cute! I have a niece due to arrive in December and I hope to make her at least one pair of these before them :)
    Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful creations!

• says

You are so welcome! I know it’s not working :( The woman who was in charge of the fundraising unexpectedly quit, and they have not set up a new paypal donation account. Thank you so much, anyway!!

21. says

Bethany, can you add a PayPal account where we can have a donation sent? I prefer using PayPal for online purchases. Can send to an email. If you open an account for him, then register the account with PayPal with email on that account, then people can donate from there. Great idea.

22. says

Hello there!
    I would love to feature these on The Firefly Hook for our Free Pattern Friday. Hopefully it will send traffic your way and help raise awareness (and donations) for Brylee. Let me know if that’s okay and if I can use a photo of the shoes from this post.

Warmly (and with prayers for that sweet girl),
    Abbey (for The Firefly Hook)

23. says

Lots of prayers to your friends little girl. I have 8 children of my own, 3 step-children – 22, 20 & 17, then 4 girls that my husband & I have together – 12, 10, 7 & 2 today, then we adopted a lil girl when she was 6 & is now 18 with my first grand-daughter. My point is I could not imagine what your friends are going thru & they are lucky to have the support of friends like yourself! I will pray for them & hope & wish for nothing but a positive outcome! The shoes are darling & I can’t wait to make them for my grand-daughter, she is 5 mos now!

• says

Thanks so much for your prayers and support! We are all praying for her and her family, and every prayer helps. I am glad you like my pattern, thanks :)

24. says

Please, enter me in the contest! These shoes are the sweeties thing i have seen. I did not see a place to enter the contest, except maybe leaving a comment. I got an email stating you could win $25 gift card to Joann and girls booties,hat or boys booties, hat or woman slippers. So i chose the baby girls things.My cousin is having a little girl and i know she will just go crazy over the booties and hat. Thank you so much and God bless you! I will be praying for Brylee and her family!
    Norma S.

25. says

I tried using a stitch marker and it turned out right this time! I’m so happy :) thank you so much for the advice and the pattern, and for creating it for a wonderful cause!

• says

Well, mine are working up correctly. Make sure you are using a stitch marker. The stitch marker is always on the right side of the heel, right before the heel starts rounding. If it is in the correct place, step 4 should end near the heal, and the dc 8 should start as the heel starts rounding.

26. says

I’m too having trouble with the 6-9 month size and the part where you dc 8 which is supposed to be on the heal does end up on the side. I’m not sure where the problem is there, I think it may be more than the correction you had already made. This is a great pattern! I did make the 3-6 month size for my daughter and they turned out SO cute! I used cotton yarn and added a little pearl in the middle of the dot. my email is amanda.b.vanhoose@gmail.com…. thanks for your help!

27. says

These booties are awesome. My daughter just turned 4 month and I want to crochet these!
    I have a problem with row 8 though. Can you please explain what I have to do when you say “Sc down your ch and sl st into next st on shoe”. I am very new to crochet.
    Thanks

28. says

Hi! These are ADORABLE! Thanks for posting! I’ve made the 0-3 and 3-6 sizes and they turned out perfectly, but I’m having trouble with the 6-9. They don’t seem to be working out quite right and I’m too new to this to be able to explain why. There seem to be too many somethings somewhere and when I get to step 5, my 8 dcs end up on the side of the bootie. Does that make any sense at all? I’m about to tear it out and try again, but I wanted to comment here first to see if anyone else is having the same problem.
    Oh…and I don’t even have a girl. I have two boys. But I had to make these anyway because they are JUST TOO CUTE!!!

• says

Oh no! I am sorry for any confusion and delay. I will work one up and see if I can find where I made a mistake. Would you mind emailing me? I would like to email you when I get it figured out: whistleandivy at gmail dot com

• says

Hm. I think I may have made a typo. About where in the pattern is that? I am not sure, but I might have meant sc2tog 1 time, and missed typing the 2 in the word. I’m sorry for any trouble. Please email me, so I can help you get this worked out! whistleandivy at gmail dot com.

29. says

Congrats on being featured on What’d You Do This Weekend hop. I’m a copy cat. I HAVE to include this post on my hop this week, too. It is called Wonderful Wednesday. Please stop by.

Many blessings, Sinea from Ducks ‘n a Row

30. says

These are just perfect! So many people have family members and friends affected by this horrible disease…myself included. My little brother was diagnosed with brain cancer when he was 5, he is now 27! I will be praying for little Brylee and her family and wish them the best!
    -Cassie, CreationsbyCassieLynn.blogspot.com

• says

Ask some of your friends or at church and maybe you can find someone to show you. I just volunteered to teach crochet or knitting one evening at church. I had to review as it has been a long time. I can usually teach people to do both . I make it simple. I bought an inexpensive beginning book to refresh my memory. Some of these patterns are so cute. Church is a great place to look as grandma age women may be able to teach you.

31. says

These little shoes are so adorable! I hope you’re able to raise lots of money for your friend’s little girl – I can’t begin to imagine what they must be going through!

I’d be thrilled if you’d link up at this week’s Off the Hook!

32. says

Those shoes are adorable! Thank you for the pattern. It is stories like this one that make us appreciate all that we have and hold those that we love just a little bit closer. Sending prayers their way.

33. says

You definately have a very crafty hand…the shoes are adorable. Yes, stories like this always make us hold our dear ones closer. So sad this has to happen to children especially.

34. says

Very sweet Mary Janes…. kinda sad though cuz my DD will be 20 soon. Guess I have grandkids to make such lovely things for— once I learn to knit and crochet !

Honestly, the shoes are ADORABLE, and I love the soft green you made them :)

Happy Easter Coming soon and it’s always great to see creative minds at work. :)

Visiting from MONDAYFUNDAY @ C.R.A.F.T. linky party
    Smiles,
    Suz @MaytagNMom
    NW Illinois
    MY PROJECT I’M PARTYING WITH THIS WEEK

35. says

Downloaded and Donated!!! It’s great to see how everyone is doing their best to help out Brylee and her family. Sending prayers their way.

Trackbacks