Welcome back to our Nativity CAL. Today we are adding a touch of Jerusalem to our nativity with a crochet palm tree! This post contains affiliate links, which means I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
When I was a kid, my grandparents brought us a beautiful hand-carved nativity scene as a souvenir from a recent trip to Jerusalem. It was all wood and all the pieces were attached, but I specifically loved the attached palm tree that stood near to the holy scene. I loved it. As a child I thought it was strange to have a palm tree during Christmas! But it made more sense as I learned about the story and about Jerusalem. As I was designing my set, I knew it absolutely needed to have a crochet palm tree.
The pattern remains the same from last year, but I made it with Verdant Heather, which I think was a good choice! It still has a rustic feel, but has a more authentic color.
CROCHET PALM TREE – FREE CROCHET PATTERN
Please remember: You are free to use this pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
PLEASE read my Disclaimer before working my free patterns!
Want the whole set? Get the entire Nativity in an ad-free PDF 👇
(Approx. 6” tall)
Crochet Palm Tree Trunk:
Begin with magic ring using Almond.
This is worked in continuous rounds. DO NOT join. Use a stitch marker to mark your rounds.
Place stones at the bottom of the trunk once it’s practical. Stuff as you go for ease of use.
1. Sc 10 into ring. (10 sts)
2. Work 2 sc in each st. (20 sts)
3. *Sc in next st. Work 2 sc in next st.* work 10 times. (30 sts)
4. *Hdc in next 2 sts. Work 2 hdc in next st* work 10 times. (40 sts)
5. Work in 3rd loop (the loop on the back of the stitch, behind the 2 loops on top )
Sc in each st. (40 sts)
6. – 15. Sc in each st. (40 sts)
16. *Sc in next 8 sts. Sc2tog* work 4 times. (36 sts)
17. – 18. Sc in each st. (36 sts)
19. *Sc in next 7 sts. Sc2tog* work 4 times. (32 sts)
20. – 22. Sc in each st. (32 sts)
23. *Sc in next 6 sts. Sc2tog.* work 4 times. (28 sts)
24. Sc in each st. (28 sts)
25. * Sc in next 5 sts. Sc2tog* work 4 times. (24 sts)
26. – 30. Sc in each st. (24 sts)
31. *Sc in next 4 sts. Sc2tog* work 4 times. (20 sts)
32. – 36. Sc in each st. (20 sts)
37. *Sc in next 3 sts. Sc2tog.* work 4 times. (16 sts)
38. – 46. Sc in each st. (16 sts)
Sl st into next st and tie off.
Palm fronds: (Make 2)
Use Verdant Heather, begin with Magic Ring
1. Ch 1. Sc 8 into ring. Join. (8 sts)
2. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in each st. (16 sts)
3. *Ch 12. Sc in 2nd ch from hook. Sc in next ch. Hdc in next ch. Dc in next 6 chs. Hdc in next ch. Sc in last ch. Sk next st on ring, sl st into next st.* repeat 8 times. Join with bottom stitch at the base of the first ch.
4. Sc in next st. *Sc up the frond. Sc 3 at the very top. Sc down the frond. Skip the st in between the fronds.* work 8 times.
Join with first st.
You will need to wet block your palm fronds so they are manageable. To do this, simply dampen them with a spray bottle, lay them between 2 layers of cling wrap, and press them with a heavy book. Leave them to dry for a few hours. After they are pressed, you can remove the book so they dry faster.
Once your palm fronds are dry, line them up WRONG sides together. Using the same color, sl st them together all around the outside. Break yarn and leave a long tail.
Attach the palm fronds to the trunk but sewing down through the fronds and catching the two loops at the top of the truck. Use the long tail. Weave in ends.
Want a FREE ebook, crochet tips and monthly free Pattern Fridays? SUBSCRIBE!
(it’s totally FREE!)