Add this simple crochet nativity star display to your completed crochet nativity. Using the same yarn and just a few extra pieces of wood, you can create a lovely display of the Christmas star behind your creche. This post contains affiliate links which means I get a small commission at no extra cost to you, thanks for you support!
I had such a wonderful time with the crochet nativity CAL this year! I am happy with how the sweet little sheep turned out, but as I set up my nativity to retake photos, I thought something else was missing.
I definitely couldn’t whip up any more animals this year, they take quite a bit of time to design, but I decided this Christmas scene needs a star!
Dallas lent me a hand by putting together the wood and dowels and then I simply glued the stars to the dowels! It’s so easy and I think it goes along with the overall theme of the rustic nativity.
I love it so much even thought I am not super happy with my stain choice, so I might have to sand it down and find something less red.
Please remember: You are free to use this pattern to make and sell, but do not republish or distribute this pattern in any way. DO NOT use my photos in your listings. Please do share my blog links! It’s a quick and FREE way of supporting Whistle and Ivy and more free crochet patterns in the future.
PLEASE read my Disclaimer before working my free patterns!
What you need: (affiliate links)
– 4mm Hook
– Palette Yarn in Oyster Heather
– Darning Needle
– 1/4″ dowel (approx. 36″ long)
– 5″ long 2×1 block
– Wood Glue
– Hot Glue Gun
NOTE: Use two strands. You can use the same skein and use the inside strand and outside strand of the ball.
1. Ch 2. Dc 10 in ring. Join (10 sts)
2. *Ch 5. Sl st in 2nd ch from hook. Sc in next ch. Hdc in next ch. Dc in last ch. Sk next st on ring and sl st into next st* work 5 times.
Leave a long tail
CROCHET 8 POINT STAR
1. Sc 8 into ring. Join (8 sts)
2. Ch 1. Work 2 sc in each st around. Join (16 sts)
3. *Ch 7. Sl st into 2nd ch from hook. Sc in next 2 chs. Hdc in next 2 chs. Dc in lat ch. Sk next st on ring and sl st into next st. Ch 5. Sl st into 2nd ch from hook. Sc in next ch. Hdc in next ch. Dc in last ch. Sk next st on ring. Sl st into next st. * work 4 times.
Leave a long tail.
Sew the stars together with wrong sides together using a darning needle and the long tail (use both strands).
Now, create the dowel stand.
– Cut your dowel into 3 pieces: 2 pieces will be 9″ long and one piece will be 11″ long.
– Cut the 2×1 into a 5″ length.
– Using a 1/4″ drill bit, drill 3 holes in the 2×1 piece.
– Glue dowels into holes with wood glue.
– Sand and stain.
Once your stand has dried, you can glue the stars to the stand. Run a line of hot glue along the back of the stars and press firmly.
Thanks for joining in the CAL! And thanks for those who shared their products, I love seeing your creative spins and color choices.
Want a FREE ebook, crochet tips and monthly free Pattern Fridays? SUBSCRIBE!
(it’s totally FREE!)