Welcome back to Plaid Week! This is the final pattern this week, the Women’s Crochet Plaid Trapper Hat. I wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU for your encouragement, your kind and sweet comments and especially for your visits to my blog. It has made plaid week an enormous success! I have already gotten many requests for other plaid items, as well as other sizes in many of the patterns, so stay tuned for more plaid after this week! I also have several more ideas that I would like to make in plaid. I hope you aren’t sick of crochet plaid by the time I am done (if I am ever done, the things I can do in plaid are practically limitless)!
Women’s Crochet Plaid Trapper Hat
What you need: (affiliates)
Gauge: 8 sts = 3”
Note: This hat is worked with 2 strands of Medium Weight Yarn. It is easiest to work with two skeins at once.
Begin with a magic ring. Ch does not count as stitch.
1. Sc 8 in the ring. Join with sl st.
2. Ch 1. 2 Hdc in same st. 2 hdc in each st around. (16 sts). Join with a sl st.
3. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc. 2 hdc in next st* work 7 times. (24 sts) Join with sl st.
4. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc 2. 2 hdc in next st* work 7 times. (32 sts). Join with sl st.
5. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 2. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc 3. 2 hdc in next st* work 7 times. (40 sts). Join with sl st.
6. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 3. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc 4. 2 hdc in next st* work 7 times. (48 sts). Join with sl st.
7. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 4. 2 hdc in next st. *Hdc 5. 2 hdc in next st*. work 7 times. (56 sts). Join with sl st.
8. – 15. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 55. (56 sts) Join with sl st.
Lay hat flat with seam at the back, and presented upside down. Count 3 sts in from the side and start there. Work from the outside.
1. Start with black. Ch 2. Work 7 sets of plaid st (21 total sts) alternating black and wine. Finish last st with wine. Turn.
2. – 4. Ch 2. Work plaid st all the way across. Be sure to carry both unused strands across. (21 sts)
5. Ch 2. Dc in same st. ch 1. sk 1 st. Dc in next st (switch colors). Work 5 sets of the Plaid Stitch.(switch colors). Dc. Ch 1. Sk 1 st. Dc in last st. Tie off. (21 sts)
Start is the st just left of the flap, with hat oriented upside down.
1. Start with black. Ch 1. Dc in same st. Continue with black (4 dc in a row) and work 11 sets of the Plaid Stitch, alternating with wine. Dc in last st with black. Turn. (35 sts)
2. (Still using black) Ch 2. Dc in same st(change color). Work 11 sets of the Plaid Stitch. Dc in last st with black. Turn.
3. (Still using black) Ch 3. Tc 3 (switch color). Tc 3 (switch color). Tc. Dc 2 (switch color). Work 5 sets of the Plaid Stitch using hdc sts. Switch color, Dc. Tc. Tc (switch color). Tc 3 (switch color). Tc 4. Turn.
4. (Still using black). Ch 2. Dc2tog. Dc 5. Hdc. Sc 19. Hdc. Dc 5. Dc2tog.
Still using two strands of yarn, (using black) sc all around the hat, going all around the edges of both flaps, and working in the two worked sts in between them on the hat. Work 3 sc sts in the corners of the front flap band back flap.
Make the tassels by cutting 6 lengths of yarn about a yard long. Hold them in a bunch with their ends lined up, and pull all 6 through the bottom of the back flap using your hook, letting 12 strands hang down. Braid the strands together and tie a knot. Trim the ends even. Repeat for the other side.
Sew chunky buttons on the hat, corresponding with the button holes.
I truly hope you enjoyed Plaid Week! I had so much fun designing them for you. I will try to get to as many of your request as I possibly can :)
Have a wonderful finish to your weekend, friends!
You can get the other patterns here:
Join our Facebook Community! We need YOU!
Like this FREE crochet pattern? Subscribe!
(and get a free gift!)
Check out these too!